DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

125x Magnifier

G

After managing, eventually, to lay my hands on one of these, I am a little underwhelmed...

Yes, it does what it is supposed to, but it seems to make the viewfinder less contrasty. Does anyone have a similar (or different) view?

Paul, I tried one out in the store. I immediately found it to be somewhat darkening, hazy and (optically) dull. I've heard the same from other people, too. The idea of a 1.25 mag is of course okay, but when I get another M6TTL or an M7, I'll likely try and work out a new 0.72-or-0.85 choice rather than a 0.72-plus-1.25 choice.

Thanks for the comments on the 90 2.8 with the .72 mag. It seems that it is a personal matter, some can adjust to the smaller framing others can't. Any other comments???

Jim

I also have one of these magnifiers, which I use on a o.72 M6 TTL when I have mounted a 90mm Summicron or a 135mm Tele Elmar. I am not impressed. Most of the cost must have been attributed to the well made Bovine Leather case the magnifier rests in.

Neither am I impressed....the image is degraded by the 1.25 unit and seems to displace the eye when looking through the viewfinder...I kept mine only a short while and then sold it on Ebay...

I actually tried to order one of these, almost a year ago, from a dealer in Jakarta. He gets his Leica stuff from Hong Kong and told me, at the time, that they were out of stock. I think he's forgotten all about it by now. Perhaps it's just as well, from people's comments!

Thanks for relieving my curiosity. Almost ordered one this last week. Don't have to now. I'm selling my 90 Summicron anyway - don't like a tele with a rangefinder & this would have been a kludge. Now I see it's not that great of a kludge, either.

I DO NOT understand the negative comments on the
1.25 magnifier !!!! I am using one on a M6 .72 &
think it is great. This is one of the best accessaries I have ever purchased.
I love it for 50 90 & 135 w/goggles.
I use my other M6 >72 for 35 &21 w/finder.
I think you should re-evalulate.

> I agree the 1.25x is a great accessory for someone who shoots with 2 or more > bodies. But to take it on and off as Leica intended is a royal PITA. > Originally I removed the chain from mine but the threads are so shallow that it > kept working loose (except when I wanted to take it off--then it was stuck like > glue) so I put the chain back on in case the magnifier came off. How this > *should* have been designed is with a flip-up hinged mount like magnifiers for > SLR viewfinders have.

Back