DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

125x Magnifier

I agree with Thomas. I used a1.25X magnifier on my M2 with a 50 noct at F/1 and it couldn't get any sharper. Sounds unbeleivable but this combo hand held with tri-x and windowlight was sharper than my Hasselblad with a 150 at F/8, stobe, tripod, and plus-x.

I use this magnifier in my M3 with the aspherical M 90 2. The result is good. It does help a lot in low light situations and close focusing. It does not reduces the brightness of the viewfinder.

I am a great fan of Leicas - I have an M7 and an M2, and three (very expensive) modern lenses. I love them. However, the magnifier is absolute tat! The flimsy chain has already broken off, and it is incredibly expensive for what it is! I actually manage perfectly well without it!

I have the magnifier on when I do hand-held shots using lenses of 50mm upwards. I believe it is a great piece of glass that helps me a lot in focussing under low lighting. Forget about the chain! I removed mine totally as it was more of a hindrence. I would rather Leica save cost by not supplying the chain.

Daniel

M3,together with this magnifier,becomes the most accurate focusing instrument in the M series.
To me,the most tricky focusing situation is the portrait of the oblique face. It is even worse in low light and when the face is 1 m from the camera. Rather than rotating the focusing barrel, I fix the lens at 1m. I focus by moving to and fro. I focus one eye first,the other one after and click the shutter at the mean distance.
135 mm has less application than 90 and I don't have M135. I don't think it is a good idea to use 135 on M, the view of 135 is too small even when I am using M3 with a magnifier.

> I really like the 1.25x magnifier! My M7 has the built-in 0.85x > viewfinder already, so in combination, the view is practically the > same through both eyes, which is a lot more comfortable. I also never > bothered with the chain.

Although I have no experience with this magnifier, it got me thinking about the Universal viewfinder that was introduced for the 21,24and 28mm lenses around the same time. What are people's experiences with this and how does it compare with the dedicated brightline v'finders for each lens? Poitives,negatives, etc.
Thanks
Colin

> I tried the Universal viewfinder, but found the dedicated 24mm one > much better - lighter weight & doesn't stick up so much. If you only > intend to use one of the wider lenses, I wouldn't bother with the > Universal. Jim

Back