DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Voightlander VC Meter

After I bought my M3 I thought I had to have a meter on the camera, and not just my hand-held Sekonic, so I got a beat-up Leicameter and sent it to Quality Light-Metric, for an overhaul and adaptation to the 625 alkaline batteries. They charged me $90.
The result? I am $140 poorer and have a functioning Leicameter I have never used, gathering dust somewhere. I find it awkward to use, and for me it detracts from the form and function of the Ms. I use the Sekonic, I try to learn to estimate exposure by eye and -most important- I use B&W at ISO 400. This gives me enough latitude to get printable results most of the time.
It is a matter of taste. Now that I am used to it, I don't freak out if I realize I left the Sekonic at home. I would not try this with Kodachrome, but for B&W (and, I would guess, most color negative) it works just fine.

Juan

I've had a VC meter for four years and it has displayed the same problem with a loose ISO dial as Andrew's since day one. AFAIK, this is a common trait. I've unsuccessfully tried to tighten it but I probably lack the proper tools. Pity, otherwise it's very convenient.

Jorge.

I was going to buy a VC for my IIf but this thread has put me off. I do have a Polaris spotmeter but it is hardly pocket size (only if you have a big pocket). I find Kodachrome gives as much latitude on exposure estimation as most films, as long as you err on the overexposure side rather than underexposure. Wilson

Wilson,
My experience with Kodachrome has been different, to the point that I usually bracket my exposure half a stop over and under. I would not dare using it without a meter except under the most forgiving light conditions. Then again, I am sure it is possible (albeit, I am sure, not easy) if one has enough experience. Until then, I will stick with negative film in the M3.
Juan

Wilson

I wouldn't be too quick to abandon the VC meter. The gadget is necessarily a compromise and like all compromises some people will live with it and some won't. Its price and performance reflect the design limitations and the resricted market.

Mine is a good fit on my IIIf and, until it was pointed out in this thread, I had not noticed the potential problem with the ISO disk. It is a convenience accessory, personally I have never been able to get on with hand-held meters, I either forget them or can't get them out of the bag or my pocket in time. The difficulty Andrew reports about the double shoe adaptor is disappointing as the problem with clip-ons in general is they block the accessory shoe.

If you have not already done so you might like to look at Stephem Gandy's CameraQuest site, he has an informative article on the VC meter.

I would suggest that you see if you can get one on a sale or return basis and test it for yourself. Try it - you might like it.

Mike

My Voigtländer VC meter arrived a couple of years ago, and I have not experienced the problem of the speed or ISO dial movement. As Erwin Puts has said Cosina/Voigtländer quality control and consistency is not to Leica standards. It will not replace my hand-held meters, but for casual photography attached to the carrying-cord available from Voigtländer, it is a very "pocketable" little meter. Beforehand I thought it incongrous, when using a screw-thread Leica, to be also carrying a meter that was bigger than it.

An update on the Voigtlander meter. Thanks for all the posts about this issue. Tried it again, and was going to try to 'crimp' the ISO dial so that it would rub against the shutter speed dial and thus not turn so easily. However, decided not to try it - after all, it would remove a lot of the value from the meter if I tried it and it didn't work. I was surprised, and pleased, by Jem's recommendation. Was going to try one of these Leica meters (a lot cheaper than the Voigtlander!), but I assumed that after all these years the meter cells would be on their way out. Have a big Sekonic (L508) for large format work, which is excellent, but that rather defeats the object of having a camera such as the Leica - the meter is like having a second Leica body on you. No, I think I will try the Leica meter. Oh, yes - couldn't bring myself to sell the M2, so I now have a Bessa R2 as well (nice camera, by the way, though clumsy compared to a Leica).

The Voigtlander is awful compared to the Leica - it sounds clunky. Will be selling it when I've finished the film. I'm probably a snob, but there is a kind of almost tangible pleasure in taking a picture with a Leica. The Voiglander just feels tinny.
The meter problem is solved. Bought a Sekonic Twinmate L-208 for the M2, and it is great. Basic, but does the job, incident too! I can also see it with my contact lenses!

Back