DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica MotorM

> Instead of the Leica motor you might consider the Tom Abrahamsson RapidWinder as it's not battery operated and works like a charm. It's completely manual, but one can shoot three frames a second manually after a short period of use. It doesn't re-wind automatically so no fear of static marks as suggested by another poster.]

Hmmm. I am delighted with my Motor M. It changed the way I think about shooting. I am a left eye shooter, and now I never take my eye away.

It is quiet, elegant, and does not add too much to the weight. It makes the camera fit my bigole hands. I do not live in a cold area, so my mileage may be different from yours. I have never experienced lightning flashes on film, and I have shot with the fastest motors available. Can someone post an ex&le?

The winder from Tom is a lovely thing, but I dearly love my Motor M.

Sonny http://www.sonc.com

Another alternative, is to waita short while, and get a real Leicavit-M for your camera at a much higher price than Tom Abrahamsson's rapidwinder :)
Happy Snaps,

are you serious?!?! What's up with that? that seems so asinine. is it really that hard for them to make it rewind the *&^% film? rewinding in heavy action is half the point! erghh.... =================================================================

Hmmmnnn. It seems to me that when Leitz introduced the M4 ( 1967 ) with its canted rewind crank instead of the pull up knob they made faster rewinding a breeze.

Try it, you'll like it. {8o]

Photo Phreak, I'm sorry that you feel to take me for a moron in order to soothe your ego. If I were only shooting daisies I'd probabaly choose the pull-up knob for the sheer novelty of it. Contrary to your apparent assumption, experience has shown me that a motor rewind would be very useful to the situations I find myself shooting in.
None the less I am very good at doing without the benefits of a camera rewinding it's self while I've switched the lens to another body, etc.
I generally like the people on this site and am excited to hear from other people's experiences. Your comment is similar to one I've recieved from you in the past that is equally condescending. Let's keep this a positive site. : )

Based on some of the less than calm responses here of late, I can't but wonder as a female that some, not all men must have times of PMS. I agree, lets keep the conversation positive on all sides. Perhaps take a chill pill before writing.
happy.gif

For my work, I've used Canons with motor drives and thought 9 years ago when I bought them, over the suggestion of a trusted friend about getting Leica, that I absolutely HAD to have motor drives or I would miss too many wonderful once in a lifetime images. There are a FEW times over the years I remember, such as one award winning image, I probably would have missed without a motor drive. I shot, I think 6 frames to be sure I got the one I really wanted. Now as being older and I don't know about wiser, I'm not so sure I really need the motor drive any more. This season will tell. Perhaps my style is changing with age. And perhaps I've gone through so many films over the years with the motor drives, that I'm going back to basics. Don't get me wrong, until something comes along that's better and the cash cow lands on our house, the motor driven Canons will still go out on every job.

Garth, If you get one you like, I'd like to know how you like it. It just might allow me to not only have quick responses with the Canons, but also sharper images. Thanks to all for your contributions. Cathy in Atlanta

Here's another vote for the Abrahamsson Rapid Winder... I have one for my M6 and absolutely love it. Try it with Tom's version of the grip and, overall, it improves the feel of the camera.

Without the extension of the Rapid Winder/grip I found the camera very tiring on the hand while shooting. My hand is a bit bigger and so the camera didn't sit in it comfortably.

As for the Leicavit... I'd encourage EVERYONE to buy one in order to keep Leica's financial picture in the positive. At the price they're asking.... :>)

Cheers

Back