DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Japanesemade adapters any good

edwardkaraa

Are these adapters selling on ebay for just 86$ any good? Esthetically they look the most attractive with their black/chrome bands. I'm sure they must be better than the Chinese-made ones. But how do they compare to the Zeiss recommended ones sold at Foto-Huppert for double the price? Thanks for any info.

Hello Edward,

It is a case of 'you get what you pay for'. I have 2 C/Y to Olympus 4/3 adapters. One I bought from a shop in New York, made by them, for about $135 if memory serves. It has taken some of the heaviest of lens combinations: Zeiss 300 + Mirotar II and remained solidly in place on the E-1. It also continues to perform flawlessly - lenses slide and lock perfectly, etc. I then bought a cheap version on ebay made in China - after 3 months, the 'stainless steel' ring is showing signs of corrosion, the machining of the screw holes was poor to start with and the assembly has slightly loosened. It arrived here in the UK in double-quick time but I would only use it in emergency and with the lens on a tripod.

On ebay, there is often a series of adapters made by a Japanese company (sorry, I can't remember the name but the listing names them specifically) for Canon EOS, Olympus 4/3 - they have a Buy It Now price typically of $150 or so - they are good.

Kind regards,

Graham

Hi Graham,

I believe the Japanese company you are referring to is Kindai, and you're right, the price is around 150$+. The ones I'm interested in, are also claimed to be in Japan, and the brand manufacturer's name has been very conveniently blurred. Perhaps it's the black color, but they look of good quality in the photos. Not sure if anyone here has used one of these.

Hello,

May I add to the thread. There is a "new" adapter on Ebay.

It claims are that it adds the missing electronic connection to the Canon EOS bodies.This adapter has an obvious eltical contacts added.

Second, I have read that the "thicker" the adapter the more loss of f-stop setting. Is this true? Is there an ideal "thickness" to the adapter...such a 3mm - 2mm - or ??.

One more concern is some adapters supposedly don't have a "lens Lock" mechanism. Is this valid and should you only purchase with a lens lock?

I preferred Cirrus, one of the Chinese company.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brass-Contax-Zeiss-C-Y-Lens-to-Canon-EOS-adapter-lock_W0QQitemZ150035485756QQihZ005QQcategoryZ30059Q QcmdZViewItem

I have been using it for several months. It makes a tight fixation with the camera and lenses. I have been using big lenses like C-Y 200 f2 on it with no problem. This adaptor is so good that I brought a second one to use my Leica R lenses on Canon. It is equally good.

Adaptors are not high tech stuffs. I would prefer them to be made in places with low cost labour. Those I brought costed less tha USD40 including shipping. I do not see the point of paying large amount for this kind of products.

The thickness of the adaptor determines the position of the infinity. Adaptors too thick will not be able to focus at infinity.

The base plate of many of my C-Y lenses are made of brass coated with chromium. They included 60 2.8, 85 1.2, 100 2, 100 2.8 and 200 f2. Adaptors from Cirrus used similar materials.

New Adapters for Canon

There are two auctions with this "electronic" device to simulate
a focus signal to a Canon Body. This info is from the Ebay auction description.

Auction 1: Seller ID - dr.myung auct.# 250037951645
Auction 2: Seller ID - roxsen auct.# 180039970080

I am not related in any way to these sellers. I also have not purchase an adapter yet...stillll researching.

Hi all,

Just remembered from where I got my 4/3 adapter: Cameraquest (www.cameraquest.com and click on adapters....) They are well made - on a par with Kindai.

Cheers all and happy hunting,

Graham

Back