DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

General Flash Questions for Contax G1/G2

After seeing what people have said with regards to the TLA-200 being two powerful, I have come to two conclusions: 1- it is best to keep the head set at the 28mm setting regardless of what focal length you are shooting on. 2- it would be a good idea to place a diffuser over the head to reduce its intensity. Are these conclusions correct, and if so what would be the best sto-fen omnibounce diffuser to purchase bearing in mind one is not specifically made for the Contax (ie. should I go for the canon, metz, nikon etc fit). I am surprised how complicated it has been to figure out the tla-200. With the G1 & tla-140 I got spot on results pretty much every time, and I hate to say it on this forum, but it was so much easier with digital on my canon g2!!!

Quick replies would be appreciated as I am going off Friday afternoon to for this wedding on Saturday to shoot informal shots. Any last minute advice would be appreciated. Also am I best keeping the lens set to say f8 (ASA 125) or do I need to check the 'chart' for every exposure. :-D

The TLA 140 is a much underated flash. It is more compact than the TLA 200 and NEVER produces red-eye. Although it does not zoom, I have never found this to be much of an issue using lenses as wide as 28mm. The TLA140 is not very powerful, but it is more than adequate for simple tasks and is ideal for travel. On the rare occasions when I have heavy-duty flash needs, I use a TLA 360 on my G2.

The G2 tends to produce "hot" images regardless of the flash that I use. To correct this, I routinely set exposure compensation to minus 1-2, depending on the background. I am NOT referring to fill-flash, whose correct technique is given in one of the recent posts.

How do eliminate red eye when using the TLA 200? Also many of my pictures are overexposed what should I do? I am new to the G2.

for flash with g2 i recommend iso 100 film only. if u use the TLA 140, = u can use it as is with no red eye, other wise get a tla 100 extension = cable with a flash bracket, and then the red eye is gone. i use stroboframe = quick flip

I use a Nikon SC17 with my TLA 200. I hold the G2 in my right hand and the flash in my left. Honestly though, when I need flash, I do not use the G2. My G2 is more of an outdoor camera to me. My F100 and S2 are much better at TTL flash control than the G2 ever was.

Hi Richard

Red eyes occur if the available light is poor. Then the 'aperture'of the eyes are wide open. If it is possible, try to improve the available light condition. Another solution you find in some camera/flash-systems. They close eyes aperture with fireing a burst of preflashes.

I can not understand why Contax doesn't offer a solution like they do for their P&S-Cameras. There is a L-Braket for the TLA200 available.

Hans Villars, Switzerland

Michael,
SC-17 a Nikon extention cable with Contax Flash? Can you also use a Nikon
Flash like SB 28 directly on a Contax N1/NX?

> Hans, do you know where I might find such a bracket ("L-bracket") for > my G1 and G2 for use with a flash? I cannot find such a gizmo on the > Contax website. Chris - ftog at threeshoes.co.uk

Hi Chris

Unfortunately Contax doesn't offer this for the G-Cameras. But you will find L-brackets from diverse manufacturers in the web.

Good Luck

Hans

Back