DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

I've used the Minilux and Contax T3. Of the two, I'd go with the Contax T3 for overall picture quality. Lens is as good as they come, and the metering handles awkward lighting conditions the best.

Jeffery Smith

> Posted by K C Lam on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 11:58 am: > > I intend to buy a good quality P&S camera for my wife. Candidates > include Minilux, Cantax T3 and Rollei AFM 35. She is a casual user but > she wants her pictures really sharp. Any advice? > > K C

I've owned the Minilux, and it is a wonderful camera. I do not consider it to be a P&S though. It is a sophisticated camera with most of the attributes of an M7 except the lens is fixed.

Here's a shot with it in difficult conditions. http://www.sonc.com/paw2/crawfishtraps.htm

Sonny http://www.sonc.com

Four cameras later (Fuji P&S, Contax, Leica C1) my wife is delighted with her Minilux-Zoom. Particularly the off-camera flash which really does eliminate red-eye.

Used the Minilux and have the T3. Both great lenses (no real point trying to compare them) but switched to T3 because the Minilux had lens extention problem (motor) and the T3 was just way more versatile (off camera flash, accepts filters) not to mention smaller with a faster top shutter and way better view finder.

Still, would have got another Minilux if it could take filters and had a 1/1000 top shutter.

But if you wife just wants a good point and shoot and is unlikely to use an shoe mount flash or filters, go for the Rollei. It is a steal at B&H right now for US$300 new. Way cheaper then the others new. And I have heard the lens is every bit as good as the T3 or the minilux.

>>Posted by jon stanton on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 2:40 pm:

>>> Ask Sonny about his experiences with flash and weddings. He has a fine ex&le on LUG

Oh, you mean the shot I really shouldn't post?

http://www.sonc.com/father_forgive_me.htm

I'm sorry, the devil made me do it.

Sonny

I can reccommend the Rollei. The lens is indeed very good. You either love or hate its looks. Ergonomics are fine, better than Minilux i.m.h.o.
I cannot comment on the T3. Still Minilux is a very capable and interesting camera. If you can find it at a bargain (prices are going down) it might be a better investment because of the better built quality (its heavier) and value holding in the long run. Check out the small viewfinder, most people like Rollei's larger finder better!

> I agree the Minilux has a fantastic lens, but mine developed the infamous EO2 (I think) software fault which would have necessitated an expensive shutter fix. Perhaps they have now remedied this fault. Anyway, having used many different cameras, my advice would be it's really very hard to tell without using the camera first. The best thing would be for your wife to try all three and decide which one she prefers. Unless you are buying it as a surprise present, in which case an exchange voucher would be a good idea, just in case. My wife loves the Leica mini 3 (no longer made but there may be a few around someplace). This is the smallest ever Leica, ridiculously simple to use, yet has a cracker lens and turned out excellent results from our Greek trip on slide film. In fact, I got one too, although I also have an M3 and IIIa. The other ption would be the Yashica T5 which has had very good reviews.

Some folks (like the fellow I sold my Minilux zoom to) hated the = Minilux. He, in fact, sold it instantly. To many Leica owners, it is a rebadged Panasonic and nothing more. Some don't mind that stigma. A Hasselblad = Xpan is a rebadged Fuji, but Fuji isn't a bad camera maker.

Jeffery

Posted by Jeffery Smith on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 11:30 pm: > > Some folks (like the fellow I sold my Minilux zoom to) hated the = > Minilux. He, in fact, sold it instantly. To many Leica owners, it is a > rebadged Panasonic and nothing more. Some don't mind that stigma. A > Hasselblad = Xpan is a rebadged Fuji, but Fuji isn't a bad camera > maker. > > Jeffery

I don't think the Minilux line is a rebadged Panasonic. The Digilux I is pretty much a Leica shell jacked up and a Panasonic driven in under. It may have components made by outside OEMs, but I think both Miniluxes are unique products to Leica. Some of the lesser ones are definately Panasonic, like the Mini and Mini II, virtually identical except in detail to the Minoltas.

Sonny

Back