DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica starter system MP or M7

Decision made.

** Black MP with latest 50/1.4 Summilux **

I'll worry about the cost of other lenses later!
My head tells me to go for the M7 but I tried both that and the MP and just like the smaller size and the feel of the MP. I'll post some pics once I've got my act together and taken/developed/uploaded them.

Thanks to you all for your advice.

I own both a Contax G 2 and Leica M7
I use them both the Contax is very good for stealth photo because of its autofocus,but the feelings which gives the M7 is incomparable and its lensess too

Changed my mind, after a number of final decisions ..

M7 - decided that the MP wasn't that much better quality and I would rather have the AE. 0.72 to cover all frames.

35/2 - decided to throw the lions-share of my lebs budget where I reckon I'll use it most.

50/1.5 Nokton and 90/3.5 Lanthar - compromise lenses for cost. When I figure out which of the two I use most, I'll buy Leica (50/2 or 90/2.8), but for now I'd just like the 35/50/90 coverage.

I'm also going to buy the CV 15/4.5 for some fun wideangle shots.

The above will set me back around 3600 UKP - just 100 UKP over my budget, and I may never find the need to buy more. If I do, there's the options of convenience (Tri-Elmar), 50/2, 90/2.8 or even a 21-24mm.

So, there you have it. And Robert White's (Poole, UK), will have my cash after a fantastic demonstration of all bodies and lenses. Great service, can't recommend them enough.

I agree that the M7 is the preferred choice, not least of all since the AE will allow you to work much faster that you would with the light balance diodes of the MP/M6. Ironically, I think that the M4-P with Leicameter that I used to have was much quicker in this respect than the M6TTL I now use. I would perhaps advise you to reconsider your choice of lens. For almost 20 years I was a stauch believer in the 35 mm Summicron, but recently I traded in the 35 mm for a 50 mm Summicron, which I find gives me a whole new perspective on my photography. The M7 0.72x/50 mm starter kit would be my first choice, but if you can afford it, the new 50 mm Summilux ASPH is in my humble opinion the ideal combination for a one lens start kit.

If you take a lot of pics where you do not have time for exposure setting, get the M7. If more studied and composed is your bag, the MP should be your choice.

I have a problem using my MP and M4 because I would need a +4 correction lens that is not available from Leica. I am using the +3 but focusing is difficult. I could use eyeglasses but with 0.72 viewfinder I can not see the full 35mm. frame. I don't want buy a 0.58 M because the 90 mm is too small. The solution could be to find who could produce a +4 correction lens for M. Can someone help me? Perhaps am I alone in the world with this problem?

Luciano

Could not your local optician cut a +4 lens to fit the Leica holder/adapter in place of the +3 lens, rather like they cut lenses to fit normal spectacle frames.
Wilson

Luciano,

If your local optician cannot do the job, please contact me at jkoplen@mindspring.com. I can give you the phone number of a Michigan optician who did the job for me about four years ago. You will probably have to obtain your own blank eyepiece from Leica. The lens is put into that, and then the whole unit screws into the existing camera eyepiece.

My problem in using it was that when I took my eyeglasses off, I could see through my new eyepiece, but I could see very little of anything else, including the numbers on my shutter dial and lens.

Regards.........Julian

Back