DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

RTS III camera

Chiming in a bit late, but here are some tidbits for thought.

Positives:

• Built solid as a brick of gold
  • Has all the features you'll ever need
  • Pre flash - will meter any flash with + - readings in VF
  • Can use 2 types of batteries without add-on or expensive adapters
  • Though only having center weight and spot metering, they are accurate
Negatives:

• Since built solid like a brick of gold, can feel heavy fast
  • Using 2CR5 battery does not provide enough energy to use vacuum back (main selling point for film flatness)
  • Being old now and that Contax/Kyocera is out of the camera business repairs may be impossible from lack of replacement parts

I often use my RTS II in lieu of the RTS III because of the weight (especially when used with 6 AA batteries), but it doesn't replace the feeling of using the RTS III. It just feels so precise.

Hi Sartorius,

welcome in our Contax forum!

If you have a chance to get one in a good condition, buy one!

Pay attention to the viewfinder information. It happens often with the RTS III, that the speed indication will become weaker over the years. It is then hard to read the information within the viewfinder, especially if the sun is shining (the viewfinder of the RTS III is extremely bright)

Replacemet is not cheap. I payed in 2000 around 350 DM for this, which equals around 170 Euro. I guess it is more expensive now ;)

Best wishes

Hi Sartorius,

welcome in our Contax forum!

If you have a chance to get one in a good condition, buy one!

Pay attention to the viewfinder information. It happens often with the RTS III, that the speed indication will become weaker over the years. It is then hard to read the information within the viewfinder, especially if the sun is shining (the viewfinder of the RTS III is extremely bright)

Replacemet is not cheap. I payed in 2000 around 350 DM for this, which equals around 170 Euro. I guess it is more expensive now ;)

Best wishes

Dirk,

I'm not sure if you've heard of this problem with an RTSIII but for some reason, whether using spot or average, metering outdoors is perfect but indoors it is registering up to 3 stops lower and so is overexposing to compensate. I can't work out why the meter would respond so differently between indoors and outdoors - any thoughts?

Thanks for your time as ever,

Graham

Back