DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Yashica right angle finder on Contax RX

S

sol74

I have recently bought a second-hand Yashica right-angle finder to use on my RX... The waist of the finder has focus adjustment.
If I want no change when compared with the viewfinder do I :turn the adjuster to the left, right or just veave it in the middle? ANYONE HAVE THE LEAFLET OR MANUAL THAT COMES WITH THIS YASHICA ACCESSORY?

Hi Phil

First .... You would leave the diopter adjustment on the RX camera the same as normal (i.e. adjusted for clearest viewfinder image, of the central focussing aids - instructions in your user manual). It is quite important that you are happy with the focus of the viewfinder before you mount the RAF.

Second .... after mounting the RAF, adjust the R-A finder's "focus" adjustment to give the clearest view of the focussing aids.

I think it helps in both of the above cases to leave no lens mounted on the camera!

I have a Contax RAF-N (N being that you can alter it to fit slide-on or screw-in viewfinder types), and a Contax F-2 magnifier, I can tell you that if the Contax instructions are anything to go by, you are probably missing very little by not having the Yashica instructions!
happy.gif

I'd happily scan the pathetic papers for you, send email via private mail through the forum, indicate if you have BB or 56k connection etc.

Cheers, Kyocera Kid.

I have a Yashica RAF, and find it very useful in a number of circumstances, but was surprised at the small image through the eyepiece. Can anyone with experience of both tell me if the Contax RAF has this same attribute?
Thanks,
Mark

My Contax RAF does not appear to alter the apparent image size in any way (from the view without it).

BTW, the Contax and at least one of the Yashica RAF's are corrected for reversed lateral image, there is an early Yashica RAF that is not.

Try a rough comparison yourself, look through the viewfinder without the RAF and then with the Yashica RAF. I suspect there will be little change. If there is, I'd like to see this beastie!

As they are not magnifying RAF's (unlike the excellent but no-longer-made Olympus version), you would not expect to see any difference!

Are you getting confused with what you might expect from the Contax and Yashica straight-through magnifiers (2x image size)? My F-2 gives only a little more than the outer focussing circle, albeit magnified. It's like looking down a tube!
sad.gif

Cheers, Kyocera Kid.

p.s. I remember buying an Olympus Varimagnifinder in the 1980's for my OM2-N (from a chap with the most excellent name of Mr. G.G.Guppy) and it fitted my 137MA. I thought it was a brilliant design, with its simple switch for fullscreen 1x or partial screen 2.5x(?) viewing. I wished I had kept it as I believe it is very sort-after now .... £££ or $$$ etc.

Cheers bob,

I am not fully understanding you... Both hemispheres of the central prism need to be clear or the same? Perhaps you can send me a copy of your Contax RAF finder instructions? email:solaris@postmaster.co.uk - MUCH APPRECIATED

PHIL STONE

Hi Phil

Not quite sure how to answer this yet?

When you write about the hemispheres being clear/same ..... could you tell me which part of my answer above, that this relates to? Just quote the part of my answer that you refer to .... and I will do my best to reply accurately.

Cheers, Bob.

p.s. Phil, I will send you a scan of the instr.

In case, no one ever mentioned it to you, this forum has a means of sending a private message to another member. I mention this because you may have invited "Spammers" into your inbox, by publically posting your email address in the forum (as above!)

The private mail facility is very useful for passing on email address (or private remarks!) to another member, without letting those nasty spammers in!

All you need to do is go online to the forum to read the message, click on the name of the person, and then click on "click here". BFN

I'm afraid I still don't understand- there is no indicator of focus on the finder's dioptre ring.... how do i know the exact postion - how critical is this in macro etc? Many thanks (bob i never got the scans mate try again?)

There does not have to be .... since everyone's eyes are likely to be different!

You simply turn the dial until the image of the viewfinder (central aids or anything else you can see) becomes as clear as possible (remember to leave the lens off - it helps). There is no "exact" position and it is not particularly critical for macro. Just look to see if the "circles" in your viewfinder look nice and sharp .... no matter what colour they are!

Phil .... it works exactly the same as the instructions will say for adjusting the RX's diopter adjustment ... have a look at your RX manual to get an idea of how the RAF works.

Cheers, Bob.

p.s. I tried 3 times to send manual to you privately ... they all bounced back to me eventually!

Back