DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica cm

Dear John,

I tried the GR1 as a travel companion for my Minilux (same lens as the CM). Unfortunately the slides taken with the GR1 were too harsh to be interposed with those from the Minilux and I disposed of the GR1.

Justin

Dear Graham,

The limits of contrast without subtlety. The GR1 has a contrasty lens which seems unable to cope with bright scenes having maximum contrast. To give two dimensional photographs an impression of depth I favour backlit situations. Leica lenses are quite amazing in their ability to record both the highlights and shadows without losing detail. The GR1 does not.

If I lived in Europe it may not be so apparent, however in the bright Australian sunlight looking for contrast is rarely a problem.

Ernst Haas once remarked that he favoured Leica lenses because they had contrast without being harsh.

Regards,

Justin

To answer the original posting, I have printed 16" x 24" poster prints for the the Minilux/CM Summarit which are flawless. The size is limited by the film rather that the superb lens. I suspect my home-made lens-hood helps with certain lighting situations. The Summarit is as good as my prime Leica lenses, and in some cases better.

That I can say it's truely flawless. I verified the very fine grain with my enlarger magnifier. Minilux is definitely Leica quality. CM, I don't know.

I've had no trouble with "harshness" from my GR1's lens. I find it very "Leica-like" in color and contrast.

I've looked at the pics and specs. on the CM and I don't see how one invokes its "Program Shift" mode. Or is this just marketing speak for the Program mode?

Hi,
Program Shift – Leica CM

To change the set speed/aperture combination, while continuing to hold down the shutter release button, turn the main control dial (18) to the left (anticlockwise) for faster shutter speeds and larger apertures, or to the right for slower speeds and smaller apertures.

Instructions, p. 84

Whhoooo, wait a minute! Does the CM have full manual control capability? I.e., does it allow you to set BOTH aperture AND shutter speed??? If so, I'm selling the minilux and buying it. I don't know another tiny camera that lets you do that easily if at all.

Scott, you have full control over aperture, and through the program shift function you can adjust the shutter/aperture combination. EV over-ride can also be set, remember. This level of manual control is exceptional for a camera this small, and is one of the reasons for my trading in my trusty T2 for it.

Regards,

Bill

I missed a beautiful shot w/ the minilux the other day because EV override was too limiting. could you explain better your statement, "through the program shift function you can adjust the shutter/aperture combination"? Let's take an ex&le. Let's say I set f/5.6. The camera gives 1/1000 sec. I need 1/60 sec. Is it possible, through this program shift, to set 5.6 and 1/60? I've never used a "program shift" in a camera before. All the best, Scott

Back