DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Different MP finishes

vishalvora

Dear all,

I am keen to buy another body and have my eye on a MP although I am a little confused about the difference between all the different finshes. Do they do one type that is that same at the M6TTL? I mean that industrial hard wearing black finish which is not paint?

Any advice will be helpful,

Many thanks,

Vishal

Vishal,
You mean black chrome. No, they don't. They make it in bright crome of a very high quality, in a relatively soft black paint and in a grey hammertone-laquer (this last version being more expensive). The top plate is now machined out of a block of brass instead of being pressed out of zinc as on the M6TTL. It is a far superior way of making a camera.

Regards,

Erik.

ok, so will my lenses match that of the regular MP finish? What is the difference between the BLACK PAINT special model and the regular MP in terms of finish?

Vishal.

Vishal,
There is no black paint special model, this version is regular. The black paint MP matches very good with the latest black paint lenses, but also with the chrome lenses of the last 10 years or so. I very much dislike the black 'anodized' lenses, for if these are used heavily they become very ugly. They do not, IMO, match with this black paint beauty, but are ofcourse perfectly usable.

Regards,

Erik.

The only thing to realize about the black paint lenses is that they are made of brass instead of aluminum and are heavier. It may not seem like much to look at the numbers but in carrying weight it does make a difference.

The chrome lenses are also made of brass and also heavier, and are also more expensive. But worth it. They will last a long, long time...

regards,

Erik.

In Switzerland the chrome and the black lenses have the same price, whereby the chrome version is really heavier as the black one.

About changes for the MP: Please let it as it is! Sure, I found two points for an 'improvement' too. But compared to the strengthes of this fine tool, they are less important. Use it and enjoy it!

Hans Villars, Switzerland

Many thanks,

People always go on about pressed zinc and brass - does it really matter? I am of the mind about actively taking photos, I am sure that my M6TTL will out live me even if people regard it as a less superior camera to the MP.

I have reading articles by Roger Hicks who has some very important points about cameras and their use. I would hate to put into the section of "users" who sit in armchairs with their Leica's looking new in their cases!

I have decided to go for the black MP, I had a look at it today and its very nice although I didn't notice that much of a difference between my viewfinder and the newer multi coated type. I think perhaps this difference will come in the field when using it.

Many thanks for clearing up the confusion re. the finishes of the camera.

Vishal.

Vishal,

I'm sorry but when you feel that the M6TTL is as good as a shooting camera why are you going to spend a lot of money on a MP?

Regards,

Erik.

Back