DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Problems loading film

As Tom mentioned in an earlier post, check the rewind knob!
In a rush, I also have missed a session after not checking the rewind.
Now I always "take up the slack" after fitting a new film!

William

William, you're right and so do I. Still, sometimes it is just a little too easy to forget! Murphy's law appplies here, by the way... have you ever noticed that the film you haven't shot contains the best images of the day...?

Bill, you are absolutely right, it's that Murphy's Law you mentioned,
I am sure these were the images I misses, ...the best ones!
happy.gif

I have a leica m7 ,i can shoot 39 frame to 1 roll (36), but when i last frame exposd the quickwind lever half way stopped.Is it normally?
Becouse rewind release lever(R on the camera) not
moving.I try heavy?

Thank you Justin!
I love this camera .And when i make the pictures ,I
forgot to see how many frames i have.I hope the camera is OK!>This little
mistake is not problem inside the camera?

I Figured out what the problem was. If you put the lens cap on when you load the film the exposure time is so long that the shutter was not closing. When I reload with the lens uncovered it is much better. Folding the leading tip helps also. The ASA contacts are a little tight sometimes too.

Thank you for your help.

The problem I have with my M7 is that somewhere in the middle-to-end of a 36 roll the wind-forward must commit some kind of error. The reason I think this: I often get double-exposures in the upper numbers of a roll.

I've used different labs, so it's definitely not at that stage.

Strangest thing. Anyone else have this experience? Or better yet, anyone know the cause?

Thanks much.
John

I have never had any winding problems with my M7... John, do your negatives have tears in the sprocket holes? If so, then it is a tensioning problem, but if not, you might do a little experiment where you open the camera back, apply slight pressure to the film wheels, and wind on. If there is a slight slippage in the mechanism it might be possible to cause the slippage by applying pressure with your fingers. I have an older Exakta camera that has this problem, so I have to make sure to shoot smaller rolls (12 or 20 exposure) only. Actually, I often get some cool shots with this random double - triple exposure 'feature' - but I'd not be so happy if my Leica did it.

Oh, you should also check to be sure the rewind-release lever is fully returned to the upright position... but I presume you already checked this.

Cheers!
- marc

Marc
Thanks for your notes.
Nope...no tears in the negative sprocket holes.

From your description of the Exakta, sounds like I've got slippage of some sort. Not quite sure if I'm ready to switch to smaller rolls....certainly not with a Leica. Fortunately, I'm still under warranty...so I guess I'll ship it off.

Again, thanks for your input.
John

Back