DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Irish Harbours Project - 'Safe Havens of Ireland'

Seoirse

One of the two Zone Plate projects I am currently working on deals with Irish harbours (both coastal and inland) and here I intend to periodically post up a selection of some shots for you to look at for the duration of this work - which could take up to a year to complete, maybe more.

If the pictures are good enough I might even be tempted to make a book or print up an exhibition.
smiley.png

Ok, I'd like to start this off with a few pics in and around harbours within a few miles from my home.....starting with Rush Harbour, Co. Dublin

Pic 1

The first picture is a Breakwater on the opposite side of the harbour which has been damaged by storms over the years.

75mm zone plate with Hasselblad 503CW loaded with Fuji 400
Processed in Rodinal 1:50 for 15 mins

Attachments

• Breakwater,-Rush-Harbour001.jpg
    EXIF
    Breakwater,-Rush-Harbour001.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Breakwater,-Rush-Harbour001.jpg
    EXIF
    Breakwater,-Rush-Harbour001.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 13
The second image is a set of steps from Rush Harbour Pier itself. I particularly like the 'NO DIVING' sign.

Pic 2

Attachments

• Rush-Harbour-steps001.jpg
    EXIF
    Rush-Harbour-steps001.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Rush-Harbour-steps001.jpg
    EXIF
    Rush-Harbour-steps001.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 7
Ok...a few more from this project for you to see.

Some 4 miles to the North of where I live lies Balbriggan Harbour. Many small Irish harbours which used to be busy some 20-30 years ago are now becoming deserted as bigger boats mean that crews go further out into the North Atlantic and elsewhere as well as the fact that fish stocks close to shore have become depleted. The harbours are also starting to look a bit grubby, but that can be nice too.

Balbriggan still has a small fleet but when I took these pics back in January 2010 there were quite a number of 'wrecks' just left to rot in the harbour. I understand that a number of weeks ago most if not all of these wrecks have been removed which is great for those people who use the harbour - although I liked photographing them.

The second picture here shows one of the few (maybe the last?) wooden bollard in use for tying up boats. I liked its graphic look against the wall.

Pics 3, 4 & 5

Attachments

• Balbriggan-Harbour001.jpg
    EXIF
    Balbriggan-Harbour001.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 10
  • Balbriggan-Harbour001.jpg
    EXIF
    Balbriggan-Harbour001.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 8
Another couple of shots here.

Went back to Rush Harbour. In common with a lot of little havens along the east coast of Ireland, Rush Harbour is tidal and its use is further limited to small craft because of its tendency to silt. The first picture demonstrates the position at low tide. So if you want to go out in your boat you've got to time the tides right.

Second pic is from over the harbour wall where there is a slipway built which has the advantage of having a few feet of water at all times...but doesn't have the protection of the harbour wall and so subsequently is not used as often as it might.

75mm zone plate on a Hasselblad. 400 as a film in Rodinal for 14 mins.

Pics 6 & 7

Attachments

• Rush-Harbour,-slipway-NE005.jpg
    EXIF
    Rush-Harbour,-slipway-NE005.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Rush-Harbour,-slipway-NE005.jpg
    EXIF
    Rush-Harbour,-slipway-NE005.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 18
great shots brother.....keep being inspired, I for one appreciate your efforts....long live film

Decided to re-visit Balbriggan Harbour (see previous pics 3, 4 & 5) yesterday morning.

The harbour authorities have just cleared away some unsightly 'wrecks' and have given the lighthouse a lick of paint which has really improved the appearance of the place.

I tried a few different perspectives.

75mm zone plate on a Hasselblad loaded with Fuji 400.

Processed in Rodinal 1:50 for 14 mins.

Pics 8 & 9

Attachments

• Balbriggan-Pier001.jpg
    EXIF
    Balbriggan-Pier001.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Balbriggan-Pier001.jpg
    EXIF
    Balbriggan-Pier001.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 13
Pic 10 Port Oriel, Clogherhead

Port Oriel, or Clogherhead as it is known locally is a very important fishing port on the East Coast particularly for landing prawns, which are then auctioned on site every Monday and Thursday at 3pm.

Catering for more than a dozen trawlers, Clogherhead has recently seen the opening of a 105 metre pier extension and an armoured breakwater. The harbour basin was also dredged to allow improved access at low water.

Picture shows the view of the new extension which features a rather funky starfish sculpture placed on top of the new pier wall.

Attachments

• Port-Oriel,-Clogherhead001.jpg
    EXIF
    Port-Oriel,-Clogherhead001.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Port-Oriel,-Clogherhead001.jpg
    EXIF
    Port-Oriel,-Clogherhead001.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 3
These picutres are amazing. Very beautiful. Very good composition and lighting.

I dont understand about the 75mm pinhole. Does it mean putting a board with a pinhole in front of the lens? and what about exposure? Does it mean expose longer than measured by the lightmeter (external lightmeter). How much longer?

Back