DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Lets get this Printing forum rolling!

ken53

Glad to see this Printers forum. I just use a Canon Pro 100. Its been fine and is 4years old. Colors are good but never got vivid colors I hoped for. Its been as dependable as and old shoe. I am just missing something with the drivers I assume. My focus is to keep it fun. Nothing to loose sleep over. So I think this DPRForum might be the perfect place.

I used to have a 100s - upgraded 6months ago to the 200 & love the prints coming from it.... Do agree it can be a real PITA to get things how you want though

I used to have a 100s - upgraded 6months ago to the 200 & love the prints coming from it.... Do agree it can be a real PITA to get things how you want though
Thanks for the reply. The 200 sounds like it might be my solution. Canon always keeps my buying. lol

Glad to see this Printers forum. I just use a Canon Pro 100. Its been fine and is 4years old. Colors are good but never got vivid colors I hoped for. Its been as dependable as and old shoe. I am just missing something with the drivers I assume. My focus is to keep it fun. Nothing to loose sleep over. So I think this DPRForum might be the perfect place.
I just stumbled across this post, I'd seen the title but passed it by for later, which appears to be now.

I also have the Canon Pro 100s. Had it for almost 7 years, couldn't be happier. I often binge print, with dry spells in between, sometimes for a few months. Never had a clogging problem which makes me happy.

I use Red River papers. I tried sample packs of many others in the beginning, but RR just looked better to my eye, even papers that don't generally print well on that machine. I fell in love with the Polar Gloss Metallic, but it wasn't quite right for everything, borderline too metallic for some subjects.. They then came out with Polar Luster Metallic, and that is the paper I use the most. It might be worth getting a sample pack that has that paper in it for testing.

But as I said I'm generally happy with the colors on the printer. I tend to like a bit of "pop". So I've adjusted my workflow to give me a print that a like, and then "calibrated" (sort-of) my laptop to match those prints and PP accordingly. It works for me, and family and friends like the results. Before I started "reverse-profiling" I had a tough time getting satisfactory results.

The other thing that has help me is using Qimage Ultimate (QU). People either love it or hate it, I couldn't work without it. It's easier to use now than when I started with it about six months before I actually had the printer, trying to get used to it. And even though RR Polar Luster Metallic is my favorite, I like to play with other papers just to see how they might print differently, and QU makes such transitioning easy. Might be worth a look.

So that's my 2-cents. If nothing else, maybe it will stimulate further discussion on the forum.

I have given up on printing myself and now rely solely on Wallgreen's for my prints (up to 16" x 20"). They use the latest Canon large format printers. The technology has come a long way and prices are very cheap. BOGO sales make prices of 16" x 20" only $8.00 each and the quality is surprisingly good-about on par with what professional labs did 10-15 years ago. Like all printers, they tend to print a little darker than what you see on your editing screen but the colorimitry is very good. You can some very basic final editing, e.g. cropping, lighten/darkening, etc. at the store before you print.

There are lots of papers to choose from, canvas, etc. too.

11" x 14" are almost free.

Tedolph

I just stumbled across this post, I'd seen the title but passed it by for later, which appears to be now.

I also have the Canon Pro 100s. Had it for almost 7 years, couldn't be happier. I often binge print, with dry spells in between, sometimes for a few months. Never had a clogging problem which makes me happy.

I use Red River papers. I tried sample packs of many others in the beginning, but RR just looked better to my eye, even papers that don't generally print well on that machine. I fell in love with the Polar Gloss Metallic, but it wasn't quite right for everything, borderline too metallic for some subjects.. They then came out with Polar Luster Metallic, and that is the paper I use the most. It might be worth getting a sample pack that has that paper in it for testing.

But as I said I'm generally happy with the colors on the printer. I tend to like a bit of "pop". So I've adjusted my workflow to give me a print that a like, and then "calibrated" (sort-of) my laptop to match those prints and PP accordingly. It works for me, and family and friends like the results. Before I started "reverse-profiling" I had a tough time getting satisfactory results.

The other thing that has help me is using Qimage Ultimate (QU). People either love it or hate it, I couldn't work without it. It's easier to use now than when I started with it about six months before I actually had the printer, trying to get used to it. And even though RR Polar Luster Metallic is my favorite, I like to play with other papers just to see how they might print differently, and QU makes such transitioning easy. Might be worth a look.

So that's my 2-cents. If nothing else, maybe it will stimulate further discussion on the forum.
Thanks George
Glad to hear you are happy with your printer PRO-100s. The 100 and 100s printers have been a great printer for a huge number of Canon customers. I like your reverse-profiling idea, and plan to try this. There are a lot of the PRO-100 printers still in use. Your post will help more then you will ever know. Thank you for contributing to this thread.

Thanks for the reply. The 200 sounds like it might be my solution. Canon always keeps my buying. lol
Never saw your reply sorry - Just remember AFAIK now you can't refill the 200/300 printer carts because of the new chips :( But the prints are worth it IMHO

Never saw your reply sorry - Just remember AFAIK now you can't refill the 200/300 printer carts because of the new chips :( But the prints are worth it IMHO
That is good to know. I am sure others will appreciate that information too. Thanks for adding to our thread.

Late to this party, but hopefully not too late.
Using a Canon Pro1000 since a couple of years (as once advised by knowledgeable DPR "printing forum" members).
Couldn't be happier! Solid machine that works over and over again with all fine art papers I use. And then, I' m not even a very frequent printer. A nozzle check every week is enough to keep this machine happy. No clogs/no nothing. Also see no extravagant ink consumption; I think many tend to exaggerate this.
Whenever this machine really dies (if), Then I' ll buy a new one right away.
Cannot imagine what could be improved on this "older" printer.

Back