DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax FX1-screen

Rick

I had experience on installing the FX-1 screen, first time I installed the FX-1 into my N1, autofocus was differ from the split indication, then I change to manual focus, ofcourse I trust the split one, but I had a terrible endup result!
Further test on the original screen showing the autofocus mechanism is perfectly working well(after calibration). The problem confused me for couple days.
I reintalled the FX-1 again for further test, but I ready to trust the autofocus not the split one. Amazingly, the both indication nearly the same. Vertical line over the herizontal split cutoff was 99% lineup. Picture result showing the object is perfectly infocus.
The concussion I found that the screen hold inside the N1 is not exact place the FX-1 on a correct position, u may spend one or two roll film to confime the installing is correct or not.
Now my N1 is working very well and not disappoint me again!

Dinal

> There must be something wrong with the installation for the FX-1, For me
the split image helps a lot to forcus
especially with close object. (object distance less then 5 feet..) the
original autofourcus area is quite big and
usually the autoforcus can not give the right point that I want it to forcus
on (happen to my old minota too),
without the split image screen, it will tried my eye very soon, and this
FX-1 helps a lot!

Ben

Thank you guys very much for your advice. I did get my pictures back, and the split focus was terribly off. However, I will try to reinstall the FX-1 until the autofocus and the split image are the same in most cases.

I had the FX-1 installed. Luckily, I don't the have the same problem described by other users; my split microprism is perfectly consistent with the AF system. But the circle of the split screen is oddly off centre!!! Another strange thing I noticed was the custom function CF 19 should be set to 1 for exposure compensation after the installation of FX-1. It doesn't seem to change the exposure readings at all whether this customer function is set to on or off in spot or other metering modes. Any explanation for this?

Hello Sing,

I had the same problem adjusting the 'circle' of the FX-1 to fit the absolute centre of the AF focus field. Eventually I got it right (thank God!) by gently pulling down and pushing back up the frame that holds the screen a few times, while gently (!) pushing the screen either left or right a few times.

While pushing the screen sideways, hold the metal frame up as far as possible (as close as you can towards the prism), use one of the ‘grips’ of the little ‘tweezers’ tool that comes with the deal to gently tap the part that is sticking out over the edge of the frame (which is used to put in and take out the screen). Make sure the screen stays within the limits of the holder’s metal framing, otherwise you will damage or clip the edges of the screen (My factory mounted FX-2 has some edge ware, probably because of this!).

The best way to position the 'circle' in the centre is to place the camera body on its back so that the light indirectly hitting the bottom of the prism clearly reflects the white AF ( [ ] ) centre marker on the prism in the reflex mirror below.

While looking down at the reflection, repeat previous discussed routine by gently (!) pushing the screen left or right depending on how far the marker is ‘off-centre’.
If you think the circle is in line with the AF-marker ‘above’ it, VERY GENTLY (!) and SLOWLY (!) push the screen up. PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THE SCREEN HOLDER LOCKS IN PLACE!!! You don’t want to brake you mirror on your first take!

Most important of all…take your time! I almost gave up myself…eventually it work out nicely!

I hope this helps you out, if not I will make you a detailed drawing.

Good luck!

Regards,
Vincent

P.S. Regarding your other question; I do not have the answer ready yet. Perhaps someone else will have the solution for you shortly.

Vincent,
Thanks very much for your detailed explanation.
I don't have the tweezer because I bought my N1 secondhand with the FX-1 installed already. I wonder if I can use small medical tweezer available from the chemist? This seems a little complicated procedure and I am bit nervous about breaking the mirror. I think this off-center problem is caused by a slight lack of precision in the manufacture of the screen fittings.

Wow. Sure am glad I found this thread. I had considered installing an FX-1 screen, but after reading this thread, there is no way. I'll learn to love the standard screen!

Hi again Sing,

Sounds like you could be right about 'a lack of precision in the manufacture'. Mine seems to be pretty well in place...and it does not even shift during takes in any way (like Sam Wong mentions at the top of this page) ones it has been properly placed in. I think the best thing to do now, is to take your N1 (back) to a/your Contax qualified dealership (if not that is what you have done already) and have them have a look at it. Perhaps they could try and place it in properly for you, knowing they should have the proper equipment to do so (should save you a bit of money on tools as well). Good luck...I think it will all work out nicely in the end. Remember you bought a real nice piece of equipment here; don’t let this minor flaw ruin your experience!

Let me know how it turned out!

Best regards,
Vincent

Robert,
my installation of the FX-1 was smooth and eventless. the screen fit perfectly and the forcusing on the split images was perfect.

I think you need to "learn" to love the standard screem, but install it correctly, you will just love the FX-1.

Ben

Back