DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Canon EF to FP or L-mount

Roger J

Greetings L-mount users
Is anyone here using EF lenses on the Sigma FP or on a L-mount camera? If so, how do they work? How is AF? How does the CAF, and SAF work? How's the auto A or S setting?

Thank you
Roger J.

Hi Roger,
I have 3 EF lenses I use with my S5II via a MC-21. Since the S5II has PDAF I am able to utilize AFC with all of them.
EF100 f2/8 L IS USM: Uses OIS, IBIS is disabled - satisfactory. Autofocus is accurate but not snappy. Depending on how far the focusing mech must move you can expect to achieve focus in about a second or less. This sort of speed is similar in all 3 lenses.
EF200 f2.8 L II: Uses IBIS, no OIS - also satisfactory. Autofocus is accurate.
EF400 f5.6L : Uses IBIS, no OIS - also satisfactory considering the focal length. I shoot this hand held and while the image is not rock steady in the viewfinder output is sharp with reasonable SS. Autofocus is accurate when it does confirm focus which is most of the time. Understandably has more failures with less light.
Metadata flows through with Lightroom, except with the 400 which does not include the lens name (but does include all your major settings). I shoot mostly with aperture priority utilizing minimum shutter speed settings. Works great. One thing I would like to work which doesn't is in camera AF-limiting. Oh well.
I utilize the 400 for mostly stationary wildlife. I would not think the focus was fast enough for sports or action but it is a treat to use the way I do. Actually all 3 lenses are very sharp and for me, a joy to use.

Back