DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

"Would you keep taking photos if nobody cared?" (Petapixel podcast)

raythentic

This is from two days ago and I do find it an interesting/intriguing discussion subject actually as I have given this some thought myself once or twice in a while.

I tried copying the video-url at the right timeline position but I dont know if it will work with embedded video's. Anyway if it doesnt work the titlesubject starts from 34:35 on.

Shooting for recognition is a slippery road which easily goes downhill fast. Nobody can tell me that he doesn't, however. Facing the facts of millions of photos published daily and easily accessible professional photography, as well as the usual non-interest of the public in anything artful, I just don't expect too much. It is an old wisdom that you are most happy if your expectations are not too high. Follow it!

Shooting for recognition is a slippery road which easily goes downhill fast. Nobody can tell me that he doesn't, however. Facing the facts of millions of photos published daily and easily accessible professional photography, as well as the usual non-interest of the public in anything artful, I just don't expect too much. It is an old wisdom that you are most happy if your expectations are not too high. Follow it!
I never shoot for recognition, I just enjoy shooting pictures and while I love birds for a subject that is basically it. To share pictures online is just some icing on the cake really but during some many years I never shared anything with anyone and I always enjoyed myself shooting anyway, finding it pleasurable just being outside and/or when gotten good results.

Well we were shooting long before the internet was here and I was the only one that cared. Ha. It certainly didn't stop me then and it wouldn't stop me now.

It's fun and personally it's all about the challenge, it always has been and how it makes me feel.

Interesting because I've never really thought about it until now.

Danny.

I'm strictly an amateur and have never really cared what others think about my photos. I mean it's always nice when someone takes the time to look and appreciates your work, but positive feedback is the very last thing that motivates me. I do enjoy seeing other photographer's work and I often learn from them but as Danny says, it's all about the challenge of getting the shot.

I worked in the industry for 37 years, so I guess I was a "professional," but I didn't spend much time behind my own camera. 7 years working in a commercial lab taught me quickly that making a technically perfect print from the source provided was far less important than printing what the customer wanted. Often, very often different.

Then,30 years with Ilford U.S. mostly in technical covering Pro, Press, Industrial, on the Lab side, and Schools and Fine Art on the consumer side. So I viewed and assisted with a whole bunch of people with various views on what good photography is.

And what did I learn? Photography helps me see. That's what brings me joy in taking an image. If other people happen to like it, so much the better. But I don't blast my work out on social media. I care more about what my few "photo" friends think. Now and then, they actually like one . :ROFLMAO:

I read this post yesterday and had to think on it for awhile. I didn't make my way through the entire marathon podcast (apologies) but I can answer the title question at least: Yes, I would.

Even if no one else wants to look back in time like I do, I will still want to do it. When others enjoy my photography too, that is the icing on the cake.

I shoot only for my own pleasure. Since 99.9% is family, nobody else would care :z04-photos:

If I would have more time, I would do more street photography and landscape. I love to travel around the world and to get to know new cultures. I hope once the kids are old enough, I will have more time for this. But still it would be for my own pleasure.

I would show images in a forum or on instagram not to become famous, but to improve my photography and to be in contact with other photographers to share the joy of photography.

Back