DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Please explain difference between AE and MM lenses

I can't answer the question about why Yashicas work with "non-MM" lenses in P mode.... but I can pass on what I was told by the Contax UK Manager a few years ago when he visited our Contax Postal Club's annual "Weekend away".

He said that MM lenses (like others in the forum have mentioned) have redesigned lighter blades and a less powerful stop-down spring. This is to enable the MM mode cameras to accurately select an aperture mid-way between full open and the preset aperture. The lower inertia of the lighter blades reduce the time required to close down and prevent either "sluggishness or "overshoot" by the blades.

AE lenses may work after a fashion on all MM mode capable cameras, i.e some may work satisfactorilyor even excellently, others may not. He stressed that Zeiss could not guarantee that all AE lenses would work...hence the redesign to MM's. It's not a case of damage being involved, afterall, it's the same lever mechanism in the camera that actuates the stop-down mechanism on the lens, regardless of whether you have the AE lenses mounted or the MM lenses mounted. The cameras are designed to work with both AE and MM lenses, without damage. It's more a case of Contax/Zeiss's reputation for accurate exposure that was at stake!

When one or two of the Club members ask our guest Contax Manager about putting bits of matchsticks or plastic (etc.) to hold the camera body MM lever open to fool the camera that it had an MM lens on it, he politely told us "At your own risk"!

I remember asking the UK Contax Service Manager, a few months later, about the matchstick ploy and he smiled and said something along the lines of "Yup....it has, and will, keep our department in business for years removing the bits from inside the body and fixing the jammed mechanisms!"

At another Club meeting a year or so later, I had a chance to ask the Tamron Rep about a rumoured MM Adaptall II mount. It was relatively new and, at that time, not available to the general public. He let me have a play with one and explained that the reason they were not on sale yet, is that there was a small question of reliable operation with ALL Tamron lenses. The vast majority of Tamron lenses were working excellently with the MM mount adapter, but a few gave slightly inconsistent results....hence the reservations at that time. My own experience confirms this....but, in general I have no problems with Tamron's with the MM Adaptall II.

Hope this helps and I will attempt to find out about the Yashica-AE in P mode question.

Cheers, Bob.

> I would like to offer some information to address the AE/MM lens use question, commented at great length! Here are some answers I have received from various magazine articles and manufacturer correspondence.

Speculation will not give us answers.

Zeiss states that MM lenses have a "linear" diaphragm for exposure accuracy. This means the travel is predictable and consistent. AE lenses will not damage Contax 159-onwards. Proof-they can be used with these cameras in AE, M modes. TAMRON adaptall. They have an MM program adapter. I have one that improperly signals the body the wrong f stop. Does not seem to affect exposure. However, I am guessing that the accuracy of the Tamron MM and who knows which lens will match the accuracy of the Zeiss MM diaphragm. Why can Yashica lenses, indeed their promotional literature state that P mode is possible with their FX program cameras with all Yashica lenses (same as Zeiss AE)? The Yashicas were designed to do this. The body/shutter/etc is set up for this. I speculate that likely, the shutter is made to "trim" the shutter speed to accommodate any diaphragm inaccuracies. Many other cameras do this (Minolta XD11 in TV mode).

How many know that the Contax Program cameras (159 -on) have a TWO position switch that is signalled by the MM lens. So anyone mounting AE lenses with a toothpick isn't going to set it accurately with ALL lenses. Of course, the toothpick doesn't change the diaphragm to a linear diaphragm either.

I hope this will answer all questions. Yashica P camera owners, use the AE lenses. Contax 159-on owners can experiment as much as they like. Remember the great latitude of print film will possibly cover any exposure differences. Chromes will be more noticeable. Any inaccuracy on the AE lens will likely bias toward the overexposure side, thus washing out the intense colors we love.

Best wishes, Tom C

[I've spent the weekend experimenting with my 'new' FX 103 to see why it can use non-MM lenses in P mode. I've noticed that:

1. The delay between pressing the shutter button and the shutter opening is longer that my Contax bodies (159, RX, AX). This possibly gives more time for the diaphragm to stop down, than on the Contax.

2. The max shutter speed is 1/1000, and not 1/4000 on the Contax

So my thesis is that Contax could have used non-MM lenses (in P mode) in slower performing bodies but instead developed the MM lenses so that Contax would NOT have to compromise on the 'Real Time System' (ie. almost instantaneous shutter release), and made it possible to develop faster shutter speeds.

The effect to the camera body in Av & P mode is:

1. In Av mode, the closing (stopping down) of the diaphragm during shooting is stopped by the lens mechanism; and I assume that the lens mechanism is sturdier and can take the force of the diaphragm slamming shut.

2. In P (or Tv) mode, it is the camera body that halts the diaphragm at the appropriate f-stop (as we have set the lens at the smallest f-stop ie. f22 or f16).

As : Force = Mass * Acceleration

To reduce the Force exerted on the camera body mechanism in P mode, Zeiss had the choice of:

1. reducing the mass of the diaphragm; as they say they did on MM lenses, OR 2. reducing the acceleration, as I suspect Yahica has done by having the 'setting ring' in the body move slower. Yashica's solution, of course, limits the body's performance to lower shutter speeds and longer shutter delays.

This may also explain Zeiss statement about MM Lenses having "linear" diaphragm, implying that the acceleration was more even and predictable.

So putting toothpicks to fool Contax bodies into P mode with non-MM lenses is probably stressing the 'setting ring' beyind its design. Using slower shutter speeds on Contax probably won't help either as the mirror and 'setting ring' are designed to move at the same (fast) speed, regardless of shutter speed.

Would appreciate any comments list users may have.]

>When one or two of the Club members ask our guest Contax Manager about >putting bits of matchsticks or plastic (etc.) to hold the camera body >MM lever open to fool the camera that it had an MM lens on it, he >politely told us "At your own risk"! i have tried the matchstic-mode in a 159mm without success!

>THANKS ALL! I've rather hated my RX because it simply didn't take >pictures that were worth the Contax name - I was about to sell it to >get a Cannon, or something.... > eighter the rx-manual does not state that in p-mode you need mm-lenses or you did not read!

>>When one or two of the Club members ask our guest Contax Manager >about >putting bits of matchsticks or plastic (etc.) to hold the >camera body >MM lever open to fool the camera that it had an MM lens >on it, he >politely told us "At your own risk"! i have tried the >matchstic-mode in a 159mm without success! > each lens/diaphragm-combination would need different matchstic-thickness! said a contax-repairman.

Michael, >>>>putting bits of matchsticks or plastic (etc.) to hold the > >camera body >MM lever open to fool the camera that it had an MM > lens This will work, the MM lever on the lens does not move. The camera will sense only 3 possible positions, off, and 2 positions possible for lenses. However, this does NOT address the different diaphragm mechanism of the MM lenses, so in P and Tv modes, exposure may not be accurate. Contax calls this a "linear diaphragm". So even though you have the camera indications that all is working, it may not actually be so. I have shot some pictures with the "toothpick" on my 167MT, as well as use the Contax MM adapter for Tamron lenses. Because of the above factors, I choose to stick with A and M programs on the camera, and not try "fooling" the camera. Hope this is helpful.

Back