DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

45 f28 Tessa German lens

G

I own a Japan version of 45 Tessa but there are plastic for the focusing and aperture rings. Seems the German version is in metal. I also heard that Japan version has better quality and I find no vignette at all.
Would anyone comment these. Thanks.

Hello,

AFAIK the first 45/2.8 lenses were made completly from metal. This was changed due to the weight later.
I also have one of those Plastic Japan Tessars (the AE one with the dark green f 8 and the green mark on the focussing ring for hyperfocal setting). Compared to my Planar 1.4/85 or the Distagon 1.4/35 it is not that smooth and robust. But compared to my Tamron 17 mm (which uses a lot of metal) it is much smoother and feel more solid.
The plastic is only used for the rings on the outside of the lens. Take a sharp look on it from the bayonnet side and you'll see many brass parts inside. Once I accidently unscrewed the front element of the lens which contains the filter mount. This part is also made from metal and under it i saw a lot of metal, too.
It's always said that German version should have the better quality over the Japan ones. I don't have two lenses for a comparison. But I can't imagine that one is better than the other. The calculations are made by Zeiss and they're great. The Japanese are well known for their quality (the automobile industry for ex&le or all this high tech electronics). I don't have any problems with a Zeiss lens made in Japan!
Also didn't realized any vignetting with the Tessar lens.

Matthias

Hi Matthias,
I can really agree, AFAIK there is no difference between japanese and german versions. But there was never a german version of the Tessar 45, because it was released at photokina 82 in AE version (I had this one), an re-released as an MM version later on (which my father still owns); both are mechanical identic.

Regards
Wolfgang

Hello Wolfgang,

I read about a metal-barrel Tessar somewhere, but I can't remember where it was :-( Maybe this was about a prototype of this lens and the metal was changed for plastic in the serial production due to lighter weight.
But there is one difference between Japanese and German lenses: the "Lens Made in ..." engraving ;-)

Matthias

Hi Matthias,
I should have checked theses Tessars more carefully-thank You! BTW I forgot to mention the silver version together with the Anniversary Aria (70 Years CONTAX) which You can see in the latest Zeiss folder I got yesterday from Yashica Hamburg.

Warmest regards
Wolfgang

Back