DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Future of the Contax N

Hurry up Contax! Panasonic will launch the
world's first manual focus rangefinder
5-Megapixels digital with a high quality Leica Vario-Summicron zoom. It features a classic (Leica influenced styling) body and lens. Imagine what would happen if Contax launch the first manual focous non-full frame digital for the C/Y mount! Or even better if they modify the back focus system of the AX, replacing the moving film compartment by a digital sensor and extending the extension range from 10cm to 20cm; autofocus and digital for the C/Y lens! Perhaps...in my dreams.

PS: I came across a mint N 400/4 for sale and nearly bought it. But I changed my mind and bought a used Canon 300 f2.8 L instead, which is in the same price bracket as the N400/4. It is because the AF speed of the Canon super telephoto lenses is well proven to the best in the fields by pro sport shooters.

> Albert,

That shot was taken with the N1 , 24-85. The print looks pretty good, but all the web shots conversions are off a bit. My main problem is that I have a big note on my monitor to remind me that everthing in my workflow prints a bit lighter and flatter. I try to get my web shots "close". If I had more than 3 minutes to have shot that "red brick wall" shot I would have pulled out a flash for some fill .... but, it was a "driving down the road ... seeing the wall ... and grabbing the shot ...". I still like the image.

I had only taken one roll of film previously using the 645. I shot a test roll the week earlier to make sure the camera worked, and a good idea how the flash worked, etc.

It was lucky that I took that test roll. I discovered that my prism did not properly fire the flash! The local retailer (competitive camera in dallas) was kind enough to loan me another prism while I sent that one in for repairs.

Michael.

Hello,
As we all seem to have different monitors and each being calibrated by whatever means one has at their disposal, if you would be interested in a web based gamma check, there is one available at http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~efros/java/gamma/gamma.html
For the record my monitor, a samsung 955DF, is set at 2.05 give or take.
Since my prints reflect the screen image fairly well, I don't plan on recalibrating for web display, nor am I sure if I can have a single file have two different sets of characteristics, one for print and another for web. Justa bit curious as to how much our setups vary.
Thanks all,
W W

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response. I know what you mean, the prints from my N1 are so much better than viewing from screen. The quality of the Carl Zeiss look is hard to produce from the monitor.

Now you got me wondering, I am going to test if my prism will fire the TLA360. I always use studio strobes for my C645.

Albert.

Dear Wojo.
That really is amazing. My Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 740 SB appears to have a gamma of 2.44 which I would have thought, although I don't know much about these things, was pretty high.
Thanks,
John

I started this thread back on the 10/11 and it has created some interesting responses Most of those making a living or part of their living using cameras seem to own two or more systems...also the thread has wandered a bit into lens distortion discussions and such. I still have not decided wheather to go with Canon EOS or get back into Contax MM. I have a party to cover in a couple of weeks in 35mm, not my normal gig but I'll probably end up renting again unless a deal rolls around or I have a vision. Been checking old 35mm chromes Nik/Contax can't see much of a difference but my skills have improved since then.
Thanks to all who responed and gook luck in your endeavors be they in Contax or some other system.

Back