DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

NX Matrix metering observation

R

raj

Hi,

I was recently comparing the matrix metering of a NX with my old Nikon 601. In this mode the NX was always giving 1 stop lower reading then the Nikon.

Nikon
28mm 3.8/60

NX
28mm 3.5/125

I have obeserved this in actual picture taking also. The NX gives proper exposure for the high light but it doesn't evaluate where the high light is. for ex&le if you are taking a portrait in the shade and the background though occupying 15% of the frame the meter will expose for the high light and the subject will be dark while the Nikon will give proper exposure to the subject and the high light will be overexposed.

So set the custom function to show you the difference for spot and matrix and watch out for the indication.

With the in built flash also you have to be careful as any highlight though small will stop the flash output in TTL and your overall picture will be under exposed.

Nikon Matrix meter intelligent. NX use your own.

Raj

Back