DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Why Sony / Minolta at all?

dirk

DPRF-Founder
Administrator
Hi,

I would like to know why you have choosen Minolta over Nikon, Canon etc. Is it because Minolta introduced the AF first, is it the better price/performance ratio compared to others (a Maxxum 9xi was a really bargain compared to Nikon F4!)etc.?

I do not want to start a Minolta vs. Nikon vs. Canon battle. I would be more interested in your general thoughts for your decision and why you picked Minolta model "A" over Minolta model "B" also why digital and not analog etc.

For a detailed comparison between specific Minolta models, please use the specific camera threads - not this one here.

Dirk

> I chose the Maxxum 7 for the incredible information it provides on > exposure: the honeycomb metering EV +/- information is the best > available for optimizing exposure and exposure is the key to > successful photographs.

To be entirely honest, I just happened to get my XD-11 handed down to me. As it turned out, I'd been handed down an intuitive, rugged camera that felt entirely natural to shoot. The availability of a wide range of very nice lenses for reasonable prices also has me hooked. That's why when it came time to either replace or repair the camera, I chose to pay the $125 to repair it. After all, I've already spent nearly twice that on a wide angle zoom lens for it.

As a loyal fan of the XD-11, I have to ask... why is there no topic section for the XD series in the manual section of this forum?

I started with a X700, a nice and good-looking camera at reasonable price. When the flash started to let me down I changed to the 7000i that I still have (15 years old now). In the meantime I have built up a large collection of lenses for my favorite shooting (bird photography). Most are exclusive and expensive (a 600 mm, a 400 mm and 80-200mm all APO) and a Minolta 9, with many accessories, such as a Macro lens, angle viewfinder IR remote control, ring-flash etc. This is why I stay with Minolta; too costly to change. I hate it, however, that they did not yet bring a good digital SLR onto the market, this would make my life in bird photography a lot more convenient and increase the hit rate, since one real time knows whether the shots succeeded or not. All in all I am very happy with the quality of Minolta, hardly ever had problems (only a 132 PX flash 15 years ago had reliability trouble).

I purchased an X-370N when I was in school to learn photography, it was a great, simple, easy to operate camera which gave me good results. As I became more experienced I really wanted DOF preview so I upgraded to an X-700 and I have never looked back, it is so light compared to other SLRs I've handled and like has been mentioned the lenses are ubiquitous and very reasonable.

I use mostly digital at this point (not a Minolta, sorry!) but if I line up a great shot I try to get a couple of frames of it on film as well to have something a little more permanent and capable of standing up to enlargement.

Regards,

Michael

Once the photography bug bit me good and hard, I pestered my father into letting me 'borrow' his "Big" camera - a Maxxum 7000 with a 500mm f1.7 lens. Well, this was great for a couple of years, but I needed some more features (spot metering mainly) so I bought an 800si before a trip to Australia. The 7 came out a year later (DOH!) and I'm still trying to get a home equity loan so I can git me one! I love certain Minolta features (flash, ergonomics etc) and I think they have many great lenses that are under-rated (24-105, 100mm macro, 400 mm f4.5). I have to admit that lately I've been considering switching to Canon (IS lenses and D-SLR's) but couldn't afford that anyways, so it's a moot point. I'm hoping Minolta will produce a quality D-SLR soon, and so that by the time I can afford one I won't be required to switch systems.

Another good point (sort of) - there are great deals for used Minolta gear available on the web as a lot of people are switching and dumping Minolta gear. The faithful will be rewarded!

Happy shooting all!

CB

Ooops, that would be a 50mm f1.7 lens in my previous post. Even Minolta isn't good enough to make a 500mm f1.7 lens!

CB

I started slr photography with a Pentax k1000 and then moved to ME-Super. Both were excellent camers. Then the ME-Super developed problems which could not be repaired in India. while I was looking for another camera I came across the Minolta 7000, with 2 lenses and flash which I bought from a friend of mine. In India we did not have access to good camers at that time and one had to bring it from abroad. This was in 1990. Ever since I have been part of the Minolta family and have nver regretted my decision to switch over to Minolta. Currently I have a 600si, 800si and the 7 and I am enjoying my photography.

Ramesh

I do lots of head shots on the run so the wire-less off camera flash capabilities using a Maxxum 9 and 4500HS flashes make it a breeze. I need some advice on their use so if anybody is using this or a Max7 4500HS combination let me know. The manuals are not as clear as thay could be.
Vince

Back