DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Does 16 crop factor on digital actually change focal length of lens

> "The Japanese Dolly" I believe it is known as - first used by Akira > Kurosawa...

Marc,
Thanks for this interesting iformation. The compression of the background you describe is an elegant ex&le of the phenomenon I described in my post of 8 Nov. above.

Thanks,
Mike.

I for one, much appreciate the time and trouble taken by everyone but particularly by Blumesan and Asher and the detailed and clear explanations given in this discussion of what has turned out to be a complicated subject.

I found one pearl that the perspective of the subject depends on the distance of the subject from the camera, it does not depends on the focal length, does everyone agree ?
Others may have the argument that the perspective depends on the focal length of the lens, I believe this is not correct.

I heard that penny drop from the other side of the world...

You are absolutely right Chi (scroll up and read my posts from November 5th 12.03pm and the correction at 12.31pm).

I think much of the disagreement 8 months ago was that some were taking the viewpoint of the photographer putting the say 85mm lens on a 1.6 crop camera and staying still (change of FOV but no change to perspective), while others were talking about the photographer moving back to regain the same field of view as on a full frame camera (same FOV, different perspective).

Back