DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Back in the Hasselblad family

I bought a 501CM (new) in 1999 and used it for landscape photography when I worked in the tech industry in California. When the tech bubble burst I found myself out of a job, so started a freelance motorsports photography business. Alas, I had to sell my 501CM to buy a Canon L lens. I've progressed from a Canon D30 to 60D over the years, but always missed the Hasselblad.

Now that I'm out of the event photography business I grew tired of the weight and bulk of the 35mm size gear, so I bought a Sony RX-100 just before Christmas and took it to Big Bend National Park. I sent my favorite photo off to Aspen Creek Photo to test the camera and was amazed at the image quality. Even a cropped 16x21.5 inch print looked very good. Meanwhile, I was playing around with some drum scans from my previous Hasselblad and comparing them with the digital images I have shot over the years. I have some very nice 12x18 prints from a 60D hanging in my living room, but they look chunky compared with a 16x20 from my Hasselblad.

So in mid January I went to Precision Photo in Austin, TX, to see what kind of used gear they had. My eyes grew very large when I spied a mint 501CM kit just like the one I used to own. I walked out the door $1200 later, sold my EOS gear on eBay for a bit more than $3000 net, then promptly loaded my first roll of Velvia backward and got a blank roll back from the lab. Oh well. At least it wasn't anything important.

I've purchased everything I'll need to process B&W at home and will use Holland Photo in Austin to process my slides. I should mention I have a bit of experience processing and printing B&W. I used to be a newspaper photographer, and have owned two professional B&W darkrooms. I've processed about 10,000 rolls of film over the decades and printed probably 30,000 B&W photos.

Glad I found this forum. I've already learned some good stuff and hope I can contribute as well. This is a shot from my previous 501CM. Shot on Fuji Astia, drum scanned at West Coast Imaging and converted to B&W in PhotoShop.

Attachments

• tunnelview_fog_web.jpg
    EXIF
    tunnelview_fog_web.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 9
Back