DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Let's be careful here

I was over at the revived forum and was reading a thread "for beginners" on ISO.
The main thrust of numerous posters was that they knew more than the last poster. I saw too much of this on DPR original.
Any beginner who would try to read this thread would drop his interest in cameras and move back to their smart phone.

Lets be careful here and not duplicate such self chest beating discussion.
I have been on the internet for some 26 years now and unfortunately it has always been like this since the beginning, on almost every forum that is open to anyone. Of course this existed already before the internet, but it just made the threshold so much lower for certain people to try to get the final word in a discussion. The best, but unfortunately often difficult strategy to shut up those who make dubious claims, is to ask them a question that can only be answered in a way that makes it obvious how dumb the claim is. They will then either shut up, or make an ass out of themselves, or rarely, learn something and admit their mistake.

I for one am glad that dirk will allow off-topic talk here, after most likely reading how that worked out at DPR.

The message is that "we can handle it", we'll keep it civil. If we can have a bit of off-topic banter here and there it will feel like a bunch of buddies talking about things over a beer; it doesn't have to be serious photography talk all the time.

I'm really happy to not have to enforce that it must be about photography all the time. I think it is one of the first big improvements over DPR. If some folks are misbehaving, we get rid of them, instead of removing the venue in which they misbehaved. In other words, don't punish everyone for the behavior of a few.

Again, whose post are you referring to? I have not seen or implied that "the other" site is "our" enemy or adversary.

I do not think that he meant you. I think that this is what we all are seeing at the other site and/or at DPreview. As soon as someone mentioned us, it was bad-mouthed and specific people tried to explain why A is better than B. :teufel-grinsend-schwanz:

I do think that fair competition is good. All users will benefit from it. There is enough space for both and if in the long run one projects should fail, I am open to help.:z04-bier01:

The message is that "we can handle it", we'll keep it civil.

Exactly. We do this that way, because we are able to. Thanks to our DPRF culture. We have at DPRforum a very good forum-culture. You have already experienced this within these first 3 weeks. And the users themselves help us to keep it that way. This is what I can see everywhere in the forum already.

No moderator has fun with telling people what they are allowed to do and what not. So we all help each other, that DPRforum stays a friendly, civil place where we can talk about almost everythig without getting too emotional or kill each other.

In our forums, we want that moderators are 99% of their time normal users and enjoy here their hobby like every other user and only 1% of their time have to do moderation stuff.

We all try our best to make this possible :z04-nic-0075:

I actually gave up in there a long time ago. Some so called photography teacher that uses a bridge camera! was giving ....... so called expert advice for bird in flight shots. Man I tell ya, the worst advice I had ever seen and pretty much impossible. So that was me out of there because he was always right! Ah ha. I mean what would some of us know, nothing. I just said I felt sorry for his students.

Danny.
Pretty sure most of know who you’re referring to!

I actually gave up in there a long time ago. Some so called photography teacher that uses a bridge camera! was giving ....... so called expert advice for bird in flight shots. Man I tell ya, the worst advice I had ever seen and pretty much impossible. So that was me out of there because he was always right! Ah ha. I mean what would some of us know, nothing. I just said I felt sorry for his students.

Danny.
His name was PhotoTeach, Then PhotoTeach II, etc.

Also, I think we all should take a deep breath and be less critical of anybody who offers free advice- good, bad or otherwise. It's free and you can always skip over someone's post if you think that that person is a fool. Even a fool may have something useful to say from time to time. I don't know why that would "discourage" anyone. Just pass over it if you don't like it.

Why be so sensitive?

TEdolph

Last edited:
I do not think that he meant you. I think that this is what we all are seeing at the other site and/or at DPreview. As soon as someone mentioned us, it was bad-mouthed and specific people tried to explain why A is better than B. :teufel-grinsend-schwanz:

I do think that fair competition is good. All users will benefit from it. There is enough space for both and if in the long run one projects should fail, I am open to help.:z04-bier01:

Exactly. We do this that way, because we are able to. Thanks to our DPRF culture. We have at DPRforum a very good forum-culture. You have already experienced this within these first 3 weeks. And the users themselves help us to keep it that way. This is what I can see everywhere in the forum already.

No moderator has fun with telling people what they are allowed to do and what not. So we all help each other, that DPRforum stays a friendly, civil place where we can talk about almost everythig without getting too emotional or kill each other.

In our forums, we want that moderators are 99% of their time normal users and enjoy here their hobby like every other user and only 1% of their time have to do moderation stuff.

We all try our best to make this possible :z04-nic-0075:
I do think that it would be helpful to have detailed Posting Rules like DPR has. You could simply copy them over. Most of us are familiar with them etc. Also, I think it helps to keep the Moderators honest by having a set of objective rules rather than making totally subjective decisions.

Tedolph

I was over at the revived forum and was reading a thread "for beginners" on ISO.
The main thrust of numerous posters was that they knew more than the last poster. I saw too much of this on DPR original.
Any beginner who would try to read this thread would drop his interest in cameras and move back to their smart phone.

Lets be careful here and not duplicate such self chest beating discussion.
Isn't that what you're doing here?

I do think that it would be helpful to have detailed Posting Rules like DPR has. You could simply copy them over. Most of us are familiar with them etc. Also, I think it helps to keep the Moderators honest by having a set of objective rules rather than making totally subjective decisions.

Tedolph

@Tedolph

We both already talked about it in another thread. It does not make sense to repeat the same question in different threads.

It is impossible to formulate something that covers every scenario. We both know this. But you are still asking for it, which gives me the impression that you are specifically looking for something in written to be able to make trouble without being "officially" against these written rules. :teufel-grinsend-schwanz:

At the same time you try to give the impression since your very first posting in our forum that everywhere in the world - or at least at DPreview and here - are bad moderators, who do not know what they are doing, are totally subjective and are always only against you. :z04-hinterherjagen:

I run community forums since 20 years and my experience tells me, that your behavior and posting habits are raising all red flags for me. I hope I am wrong on this. That is up to you. But I will not waste my time by playing games with you. ;)

Back