DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

I spoke to Laurie McGinnis today, and it seems that they are well aware of Bibblelabs software. She gave me a contact person in Marketing Department, and here is his info:

Nick Cheremsak
800-526-0266 4373
nick.cheremsak@kyocera.com

Dirk,
to my knowledge, the Zeiss Foundation is the exclusive owner of the Contax brand, subcontracting it to Kyocera for royalties and a user base for their lenses (manufactured by Zeiss in Japan but not by Kyocera).
Although they don't make their biggest revenues in lenses for photography (somewhere buried in 196 MEuro of Opto-Electronic Systems compared to 554 MEuro for Semiconductor Manufacturing products) it is still first on their solutions list.

Well, as I understand it, your contacts are not only to Kyocera but also to people in Oberkochen... maybe they have an idea how to convince Kyocera to cooperate with anyone who can help to develop a decent piece of software for the camera.

After all, it is about Zeiss' sales of N-Mount lenses...

Just an idea,
Christian

Over the weekend I rented a Canon 1Ds to run some tests and compare it to the ND. As you all know,this camera has some features that are advantages over the ND, but my primary interest was to compare the sharpness and quality of the prints attainable from the two cameras as printed on an Epson 2200. The shots were taken with both cameras on a tripod, the only difference being that the Canon was set to 100 ISO while the Contax was set to an ISO of 25. The Canon can be set as low as ISO 50, but this is a custom function and I was not familiar enough with it in a short time to utilize this feature. All of these shots were done in raw mode and then converted to 16 bit tiffs in PS with some minor sharpening applied. Then I printed these files to 12X18 and compared the prints. As I showed them to others, all but one of them chose the Contax as the sharper of the prints. I also felt the ND's prints looked sharper. I am very surprised.

John

John, I would not be surprised because D1s employs CMOS chip, which is inherently less charp than CCD. Reportedly Canon overcame this obstacle, but it might be a bit exaggerated. Nesides, it may be attributed to a lens used. What lenses did you use for the test?

Irakly,

I used the Canon Ef 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS lense on the Canon and the CZ planar 1.4/50 on the ND. Perhaps this was a factor.
John

But of course
happy.gif
)) You used the sharpest prime in the world versus a zoom that optically is just above average. Can you reproduce the test with Canon 1.4/50, or, better yet, use Carl Zeiss 24-85 and Canon 28-70?

The Canon 28-135 isn't such a great lens, rating it above adverage is being kind. Also rating the the Zeiss 50/1.4 as the greatest in the world is also being overly kind.

A real test would be the Canon 16-35/2.8 L against the N 17-35/2.8.

Marc, you think? I've heard some awful feedback on 16-35L especially when used on film camera. I imagine, D1s would be the same because it has a full size chip.

i got the entire setup but no time to run the test. the files generated = by canon 1ds is more along the side of kodak back and i doubt it the the = contax can or will do better the 1ds. it also does not have the battery problem = or the software issues. i end up using capture one and it is the best along side Kodak's=20

Back