DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Entering MF territory

Blaiwne

I was late to DPReview forum but I am fast to register here and glad to be part of the MF family, because now after many many months of back and forth googling, YouTubing and forum reading/advices, I finally had the balls to let go of my money and decided to order GFX 100s + GF 45 mm.
I am nervous and will probably use silk gloves. I usually take care of my technical gear so it shouldn't be an issue, but still.

My plan is to shoot portraits and macro. As for macro kit I will most likely get the Pentax 120 mm. What is the best adapter for that by the way?

Looking forward to share some photos later on!

Lots of fun for portraits, I can only imagine. Not so sure about macro. I would go with smaller format for macro photography.

Hi,

I find I use my P645D and 120 macro lens more often than I do my Small Format stuff.
Except in the electronics lab where I have an old Kodak 760c with a chimney
finder and three micro Nikkors. This is my 'wide field microscope'. I also have an
old Kodak 520c on a Leica microscope (5x - 50x). But that's a rather different
use of photography than most.

Stan

My plan is to shoot portraits and macro. As for macro kit I will most likely get the Pentax 120 mm. What is the best adapter for that by the way?
This works pretty well. Tried it out the other day at a photographer's place. Pretty solid.

Lots of fun for portraits, I can only imagine. Not so sure about macro. I would go with smaller format for macro photography.
I have shot macro with full frame with good results, but I want the challenge now with MF macro. It may not be optimal or even better, but in terms of fun (as photography should be, trying out things) I look forward to it!

This works pretty well. Tried it out the other day at a photographer's place. Pretty solid.

Looks like a good choice.
I was thinking of this adapter from eBay (cheap)

These adapters work better with longer lenses (by allowing you to come closer), but then the entire setup is getting too big, too expensive, and may I say cumbersome. I would stick with Dx or even MFT format for macro photography. Just my opinion.

You see, you stack them up, which subtracts from the stability. I used it in the past (not this particular model, but very similar setup), and it felt rather wobbly in hand. I never used it again. Just good macro lens is good enough, but then with larger format you need to stop it down more. Nikon 200/4 macro lens stops down to f/41 I believe, but then you ask the same question - what's the gain? Tubes, no, I would not bother with those. They are very cumbersome, rob you of light, and take the joy of the entire process away.

These adapters work better with longer lenses (by allowing you to come closer), but then the entire setup is getting too big, too expensive, and may I say cumbersome. I would stick with Dx or even MFT format for macro photography. Just my opinion.
I don't really prefer adapter usually, but since I don't have the GF 120 mm yet (was thinking of it) I have to get some cheaper option, so either EF or Pentax adapter for macro work. If it's too bad or challenging I'll keep going with my Canon RF macro setup. We will see how it feels.

I don't really prefer adapter usually, but since I don't have the GF 120 mm yet (was thinking of it) I have to get some cheaper option, so either EF or Pentax adapter for macro work. If it's too bad or challenging I'll keep going with my Canon RF macro setup. We will see how it feels.
I had shot macro on 645 film cameras. It's no different than shooting macro with anything else.

Back