DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

50mm f28 Collapsible Elmar

G

Does anyone have any experience with this lens? I am intrigued by it since it reminds me of the old screw mount Elmars. I can buy one fairly cheap from a local gent but want to make sure it's worth owning.

Hi Charles, I have a 50mm 2.8 SM Collapsible Elmar. Am very happy with the excellent color saturation. Sharpness is equal to many 50mm's made in the '90'<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">• know if you would "need " it to replace your present 50mm, though. Sincerely, T. Chin

Hi Charles,
If you are referring to the latest version of the 2.8 Elmar, I find it equal to the next to the last version of the Summicron from 5.6 on. It's small, handles well, is veru unintrusive in a crowd, and, if you want to pocket your "M", it's the only way to go. I don't recommend getting rid of your faster 50"s however.

The 2.8/50 Collapsible Elmar was the lens I purchased with my M-3 in 1966. I still have it. It is moving into the digital age through a Canon FS4000 scanner. I have scanned Adox KB-14 negatives developed in FR X-22 from 36 years ago and they make great inkjet prints on my Epson 870 and new 2200 printers.

Great little lens.

Jim
San Diego

Dear Jim,

They focus well; I find the viewfinder a bit small. If you buy an M6 or M7 I would go for an 0.85.

Yes and Yes. Erwin Puts: LEICA LENS COMPENDIUM, Hove Books 2001. See www.hovebooks.com also Erwin Puts site: www.imx.nl

As much as I have recent Leica lenses and like them, my favourites are those of the 60s > 2000000 and early 70s.

Kind regards,

Justin

I have used my 50 Elmar (latest version) exclusively for the past 5 months. I have gotten very good results from the lens. I think it's well worht the money, and is especially good if you can't afford, or don't need a Summicron.

The Elmar is an excellent travelling lens. It makes the M into a compact camera, and hence one which you are more likely to have with you when "that" shot presents itself.

Have a look at www.palmerphotographic.co.uk for shots taken with this lens.

Regards,

Bill

Back