DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Reply by email

dirk

DPRF-Founder
Administrator
Hi all,

we had in the past the option of replying to e-mails dierctly from your mail software without going online to the forum.

Would you like to see this feature again?

Pros: You can read & answer all postings from outlook without visiting the site

Cons: not as easy to use as a pure mailing list. It needs to get used to it (one step more then a "normal" reply in outlook).

What do you think about that feature?

Hi Dirk,

I like both options. Why not offer both for the sake of member convienience? In time you will be able to tell how often members use e-mail as oppose to the direct forum posts.

What say you?

Hi Dirk,
I agree with G but I do find the option to reply directly from the email notification less efficient than going into the thread to reply. This is because if you reply direct, the message tends to come out garbled. I only use that if I am in a hurry and haven't time to go to the relevant page. Still it is convenient to have the facility.
I do find the email notifications vital to the forum though. I think that if I did not receive those, I would not be up to date with all the messages and it would be very inconvenient to have to go into the forum site and hunt for items, as during the changeover when email notification was not available. It also would mean that people did not automatically see posts and one might have to chase them up. With email notification, you know that if they are all switched on, everyone will see everything. It is one of the best features of Contaxinfo.
Regards,
John

FYI

we turned on the reply by e-mail notification again.

Please bear in mind that the e-mails and the reply by e-mails are sent always in certain intervals i.e. every 3 minutes. So a posting made directly in the forum will arrive ealier in your inbox than a reply by e-mail which first has to reach the forum before it gets send out to all members in the next interval.

Please read carefully the instructions provided in each e-mail when using this feature, otherwise your message does not get into the forum. For more details, please read the FAQ of the forum or click here:

http://www.contaxinfo.com/discus_admin_2345510456/template/ui/bd-help_zusatz.html#email_reply

Hello again Dirk,
Following on from my message yesterday, I have just tried the reply by direct email (rather than the jumping to the page option) function again when I replied to G. Ashton just now and it worked perfectly. That method has always come out with strange characters mixed in to the message before but now this did not happen. I think you must have improved it.
Regards
John

Hi John,

the "strange characters" will also appear in the future from time to time. The problem is a non-implemented standards of certain letters called "umlaute" in differnt e-mail software and operating systems. I.e. Mac users have sometimes problems with it.

But this happens above all in non-English languages. So if you quote a word with ä, ö, ü it can make problems if you read it as an e-mail or reply in an e-mail to it.

If you see the textline:

"type your text here!"

You know that the user did not type in the text inbetween the markings, since this is the text inbetween the markings which has to be rplaced by your own text.

This happens often and is just a question of time, until everybody is getting used to it.

But if somebody turns on autoreply in his mailbox at home while going on vacation and forgot to turn off e-mail notifications here in the forum in his profile, we will see that text very often
happy.gif

Morning Dirk,

My "type your text here" does not work.

I have a question regarding the various types of replies. Am I to understand that there is a difference between sending a private e-mail to a member and responding to an e-mail in the "type your text here"? And that what one writes in the "type your message here" gets posted onto the forum?

This is the first forum I have ever participated in and until now thought that those "type your text here" messages went directly to the person I was responding to (like any other e-mail system) and not the forum, LOL. Nearly four months and I'm still trying to figure things out.

Can I assume then that there are three ways of posting:

1. "Type your text here, which goes directly to the forum and then relays to all members whose e-mail notifications are on.

Oh no, to think I thought I had been sending private e-mails via this route, LOL.

2. Posting directly from the forum via the e-mail link.

3. Private e-mail?

How does one send a private e-mail then? I guess I have never done so.

Dirk another suggestion now that I am on a roll. Perhaps these different means of responding need to be outlined and explained in a New Members introduction to the forum folder that can be easily located after sign in?

This way new members won't have to deal with the confusions and awkwardness of figuring out how this forum works.

One other thing the little menu at this posting site does not work. I tried to use smily face several times but all I get is a pop-up.I cannot seem to do anything like copy/paste, or what ever it was design to do.

When I click underline it takes me to the top of a thread page. Bold, and Italic does the same. Colors, font style, and size do nothing, the URL opens but I have not yet used it so do not know if it works.

G. Ashton

Hi G,

"1. "Type your text here, which goes directly to the forum and then relays to all members whose e-mail notifications are on. "

Yes

"2. Posting directly from the forum via the e-mail link."

Yes

"3. Private e-mail?"

Private e-mail (=private messaging = PM) is an e-mail that goes only to this one recipient you choose. To send a PM, you have to be online in the forum.

You simply click on the name of the user you want to send an e-mail to. On the next screen you see his profile and at the buttom of that profile an envelope icon. You click on that icon and enter in the text filed your message. You can choose to disclose your e-mail address in theat PM or not. If the user does not want to receive PM'S, he can turn that off in his profile. In that case you will see the icon in his profile, but can not use it.

This PM will go then directly to the user exactly like a notification of a forums posting. The user (recipient) does not have to check any kind of additional "PM-mailbox" like in other forums. It just arrives in his own computer like a direct e-mail of a friend. Very convenient. We advise to use PM's especially for the buy and sell section. Because of spam spiders, you should never post your e-mail address anywheer on the net neither here nor anywhere else.

For more details look here:

https://camera-info.com/news/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=55

Because of construction work, the PM function is disabled currently. It will be working soon again.

We have a fairly detailed FAQ/help for each section. Just look in the navigation bar of the section where you have questions.

Smilies etc. do work. You have to pay attention whether the cursor of your mouse is already in the text field box. Just click once on a smilie in the pop up window and the code for it will automatically inserted where the cursor was located within the text. Do not delete any letter of that code.

Same counts for bold, italic etc. Bear in mind that you have to tell the computer where to start and where to stop the font change. So for the first underline click, put the cursor before the word, then put the cursor after that word and click the button again. You can see how the buttons are changing when using them.

Back