CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Planar 85mm f14

G

Hi! Think I posted a previous message in the wrong slot Sorry. Does anyone have an oppinion on the Planar 85mm f1.4 please ?
Ken.T.

G

I have it, and it's a fabulous lens for al the reasons others will no = doubt explain. My only caveats are how heavy and expensive it is. I have = an Aria and tend not to use the lens as much as I would if it were = lighter, so make sure you have a camera body with which it will feel in = balance. When I want that focal length I more often use the 90mm 2.8 on = the G system, which is a superb lens. You might consider instead the C/Y = mount 85mm/2.8, which is lightweight, much less expensive alternative and = supposedly identical optically to the G 90mm. Unless you really need the = speed of the 1.4, I'd probably go for the 85/2.8.

G

Dirk. Many thanks for your observations, which I appreciate very much. My intentions are to use the lense in conjunction with the Contax RX Camera Body, which I am sure will balance in terms of the weight ratio. The main reason that I looked at the 85mm 1.4 as I have done with my other lenses, is the ability to use them handheld, rather than be lumbered with a tripod, although I have to admit, that a tripod is an absolute necessity,for successful photography, in the majority of cases.
Cheers Dirk. Ken.t.

G

There are few lenses rated as highly as the 1.4, 85mm Planar. It is of extremely high quality!

Jack Casner

G

a monopod-there are some around with legs-or a chain like those used in the bath is good tripod-replacement. in addition you could built a sort of l-shaped metal piece(should be protected, at least at one end)which is stucked into hotshoe. when shooting it is in contact with your head. both together is a simple solution. you just pull the camera up during shooting to hold the chain stiff.