DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

N1 Filters

I wish some people may share the experience of filters for N lenses. Cokin should be a good idea to fit the N series with different filter diameters, but how about the quality.

I'm looking for a PL to take landscape. Yet, not willing to buy 3 Contax PL to fit 17-35, 24-85 & 70-200.

I'm with you Rocky, I'm weary about buying an N1 unless I can use some kind of filters. One person said the P series wouldn't work on the 24-85 so another option would be the Cokin X series which is very expensive without a wide variety.

Jason

I would suggest looking into the LEE type system which is pricey but of unquestioned professional quality. Since the system can be used for 35mm and Medium Format there is all the coverage you could ask for. LEE makes special W/A adapter rings which actually reverse back on themselves to avoid vignetting. The Cokin system is a toy in comparison.

I have the Cokin P and it does not work very well with the 24-85 zoom (vignetting and not as convenience as regular filters). I have a feeling that the Cokin X may not be wide enough for the 17-35mm due to Cokin's filter holder is very thick in general.

I use three Contax PLs for my 17-35, 24-85 and 70-300 (also fits other 72mm C645 lenses). I got them from eBay in new condition with 30% less than the retail price.

Rocky, I don't think you need a PL for your 70-200. I would start with the one that you would the most first and see how things go. Or you may check out the LEE or Cokin X. Generally the quality of square filters are not as good as the regular ones. But they offer better price and a must if you use graduate filters.

JB,
Filters should not be a critical consideration to choose N1 or not. I struggled for nearly a year to choose an AF system after using MF for many years. I still believe that N1 is the best choice.

Going back to the PL issue. I actually intend to buy Contax PL and expect to have perfect match with N-lenses. Is there any testing/comparison photos that I can see? I know Contax brand is expensive, but if it's value for money....

For effects other than PL, I tend to use PS to save money. Also, it's not by habbit to use filter effect.

I am using a Lee syetem , and the results are really good, But after owning the system for two years, the results with or without filters are outstanding,blowing some up to 30"by 40

Rick

Hello there,
After getting a VS 24-85 I would like to be able to use graduated ND filters for landscapes. I will be using Velvia (the old ISO 50) and I am afraid the contrast between the sky and the desert will be too high.

After reading this thread I am still unsure what the best way to go is. Cokin P has a filter holder for wide angle lenses-- is this the one that gave you vignetting, Albert?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Juan

Juan,

I've been the same situation as you. From talking with others, I've determined that the cokin P does not work at wide angle settings.

I've recently purchased the Lee Filter Holder and two 100 MM rectangular ND Filters.

As soon as this arrives, I'll post my results.

Mark

Juan,

I've used the wide angle P series holder on the 24-85 without problems - just one downside - it only accepts one filter. However, it is a lot cheaper than the Lee system. Alternatively, you could buy the Lee holder and then use the Cokin Z-pro filters which work out cheaper per filter.

You could also hack a P holder and "thin" it so that you don't get vignetting. Also consider if you want a lens hood - both Lee and Cokin make a wide angle bellows hood - but they are expensive.

In terms of a quality comparison - opinion seems to be divided. A number of retailers have said that the Lee filters don't offer much more - although, I have also been told that the Lee ND Filters are more neutral in tone compared to the Cokin.

Cheers, Saras

Back