DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Curious Action On eBay

G

I've purchased and sold a number of items on eBay, but some of the recent action on Contax accessories is quite curious. In recent days GK-54 lens shade caps, a L-100 cable release, even a well-worn G2 Owner's Manual have sold for MORE than the prices available at well-known retailers such as B&H or even from the Kyocera/Contax parts department.

In the instances cited, the items sold for as much as 30% more than normal retail prices. I've found the prices of prime components, bodies and lenses, to be quite attractive. But the action on some of the smaller accessories appears ridiculous. I think I'm going to sort thru all the photographic odds and ends I've accumulated and see if I can enjoy the continued largesse of people who obviously don't bother to check what actual retail prices are.

I'm not surprized. People are lazy. They think that if something is on Ebay they're getting a deal. Much like they go to the big "Mart" stores and get ripped off as well.

Last night a guy on TimeZone was bragging about the "vintage Rolex" watch he bought on Ebay for $951.00. Problem was it was a Rolex Tudor, readily available for $150.00 or less.

I went to a camera show last weekend. I bought a New in the box 28mm Biogon for $260.00. I thought that was a good deal.

Jeff in Colorado

> Hello Paul, Just wanted to confirm the "weirdness" of Ebay bidding. It seems like if you have a quality item to sell the bidding just goes nuts. When I sold my last Canon L series lens, I got up to the new price for it at B&H. The bidding was wild in the last hours. I've found that to be true of everything I've sold there that is QUALITY. However, when trying to sell a used Fax machine, forget it. I too think that the bidders didn't bother to search out prices ahead of time - seems strange to me because I'm a fanatic about doing my research before I buy something. One thing to watch though, are the people who win and then decide "hey I overbid!" I had one of those once and found it very irritating. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know you're not alone in your experience with Ebay. If I had sold through my local camera shop, I would have received about $400 less on that lens - but the buyer would have paid the same price (difference going to the reseller). -Lynn

Hi all,
I was looking in Ebay for an original instruction manual for the G1, the ones I saw selling were photocopies of an original and at US$20, I think it is too much, anyway, I emailed the Kyocera UK HQ and bought a new original manual for £5!

I also bought a G2 maual from Kyocera UK. I have thought of buying some more as they regularly sell on Ebay at way above the cost from the manufacturer.
I need a GP-1 ( mine was lost) anyone got one for sale at a sensible price?

Back