DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Teleconverter

tengwei

Hello All,

I'm looking for a Nikon 2XTeleconverter for my Nikkor 80-400mm VR lens. Any idea which model of this converter where I can keep the AF and VR functions working at all times?

Posted by teng wei (Tengwei) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 3:46 am:

Hello All,

I'm looking for a Nikon 2XTeleconverter for my Nikkor 80-400mm VR lens. Any idea which model of this converter where I can keep the AF and VR functions working at all times?

I've used the Kenko Pro TC (they make 1.4x, 2x and 3x) on my 80-400 VR - it has the electrical connections that allow for VR to work as well as the auto-focus (as well as the AFS on the 70-200 AFS-VR)

Hope that helps,

BobF

Hello all.!,
I have a FM3, and I need a teleconverter.
Nikon have a lot of different converter.
Wich one can be used on the FM3.?
Wich one have the best optical quality.? best contrast.?
Thanks
Laurent

Hi Bob,
Could you please confirm that the Kenko Pro TC 2X and 3X works well on the Auto-focus of the 80-400 VR lens. I was told that the auto-focus will not work for my Nikon 80-400 VR lens at that time when I wanted to puchase it.
Thanks
Pattan

Hi Pattan,
For what it's worth, I have also successfully used the Kenko 1.4x TC with the 80-400 VR on an F100 (see cropped scan of slide below) - both AF and VR functions were preserved. In theory, the 2x and 3x should work, as I believe they have similar connections to the 1.4x TC, but the caveat is that the light available when using these on an f5.6 lens may be insufficient for the autofocus system - especially for the 3x TC. Perhaps you could try them out in local camera shop, if noone else has had experience of this combination.

By the way, the quality of the images using the 1.4x TC has been well above my expectations - the scan hasn't done justice to the original image, but at least you get some idea of the results from this combination.

All the best, Ian
28207.gif

Back