DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G1 focus issue

M

Mbru65

Hi,
I am new to the site and recently got a G1. I am thinking of also getting a G2. I am doing fine so far with the focusing--unlike some people. And I am amazed at the optics. I have, however,
gotten some blurred shots through glass. That is, the subject was on the other side of glass. I gather the AF beam bounced off the glass and thought that that was the distance? What is the easiest way to deal with such a situation? Just
guess the distance and dial it in?
Marc.

Another way is simply to identify a different subject at approximately the same distance as that of your original subject (beyond the glass), and to lock onto that.

I agree with David. It can take a few moments to get into manual mode and dial in a distance, and you can lose your shot or your desire. It is much easier to focus on an "easy" target that is about the same distance away and then re-compose your shot through the glass with the trigger half depressed. About the only time I dial a manual focus is when I want infinity on a tripod (and it won't lock focus when I have the tripod tightened and in position).

BTW, a somewhat opposite problem can arise if one photographs reflections (for ex&le off a puddle of water).Sometimes the lens focuses at infinity, rather than on the nearby puddle. The same solution applies.

I just had my first serious outing with my recently acquired G2 and I have to say I am a little disapointed in the IQ of the autofocus. It seems to get confused quite easily and then will not shoot. I know that one can change to manual focus but as I was on a scenic train, often the opportunity had passed. Interestingly my Kyocera S5 digital has the same problem. I did not have this problem with my previous Leica Digilux 4.3(Fuji). Perhaps Kyocera need to do some work on their focussing algorhythms and give us a firmware update. Any other opinions out there? Wilson

Hi Wilson,

Did you try setting the camera to 'C' (Continuous auto-focus mode)? In that mode, it should focus more easily on moving objects, such as taking a shot out of the window of a moving vehicle. I had a similar experience, but afterwards realized that my G1 was set on 'S' (single-autofocus). Give it a try and see how it goes.

Mark Edwards

Mark, Thanks for your suggestion. Having used the manual as my light bedtime reading last night, I had come to a similar conclusion - situation normal - if something really won't work, last resort; read the instructions! However the point I still make is that given that the scenic train I was on reached the blood curdling speed of 6MPH, the S mode autofocus should have been able to cope, particularly when I was trying to focus on infinity situations. When I have occasionally borrowed my children's cheaper APS/Digital autofocus cameras costing between GBP 75 to 200, I have never had this problem. I did not have the problem with my previous digital Leica, whereas I do have it with my current Kyocera. Now it may be that as Contax/Kyocera would claim that as their lenses/CCD are of higher precision, they deserve a more accurate focus and the software will reject focus situations, which other cameras will accept as being "good enough". I will give the C autofocus setting a go and see how it works out. I certainly hope it does as I was looking for a smaller, quieter camera than my RX/VS 35-70 to carry around and to replace my old Leica 11f, which can go into well-earned retirement. Best regards Wilson

Back