DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

E1 and Megapixels

ditto1958

I am considering buying an E-1. I love Olympus products and everything I have seen about the E-1 looks good. The one thing that concerns me is the relatively low 5.0 mp sensor issue. My concern is whether this will cause Olympus to experience low sales. The camera ads and magazine headlines all tout the higher and higher megapixel offerings from Canon and Nikon. While it is debatable whether this is really needed, it's probably what camera buyers look for first in a digital camera. Does Olympus have any plans to increase this, either in a newer model E-1 or a completely new model?

> Have you considered the new Olympus SLR Evolt E-300? It is selling for under $1000, is 8 megapixels, and has the same 4/3 sensor as the E1.

Yes. The only thing is, if the E-1 is to the OM-1 as the E-300 is to the OM-10, I guess I would hope to stick with the "professional" one. (I bought an OM-10 back in 1982-- couldn't afford an OM-1 or 2-- and, although I have gotten many years of great use from it, I have been even happier with the OM-1's and OM-2's I have since acquired). My concern is not directly about megapixels (I've seen E-1 photos and they are great), but rather I worry about buying into a system that may not sell well enough for Olympus to continue making and supporting. If I were a current Nikon or Canon user, why would I consider buying Olympus? If I were new to photography and knew nothing about Olympus, wouldn't a camera such as the Pentax *ist D look more appealing?

> Undoubtedly. The E-1's "baby brother," the E-300, is 8-MP now. Other companies are joining Olympus in the four-thirds c&, and they'd be fools not to start at 8 MP or better, which means Olympus will have no choice but to do > likewise.

There are said to be plans for many more megapixles in the next iteration of the E-1, but frankly, 5 mgp is more than enough to produce stunning 13x19 prints, and I've even had several 5 mgp images blown up to 30x40 for an Olympus show - and at proper viewing distance they looked great.

As to the two bodies- Yes, the E-1 is definitely the 'pro' body, and the E-300 is not. But there are some great features in the E-1 which will hopefully show up in the next iteration of the E-1.

In terms of the long-haul...The question is what you want and what you need. The Oly system already covers the lens range from the 35 mm equiv of 22 mm to 600 mm - and there are plans for additional lenses. Will the E-1 or successors be in production in 5 years? I'd bet on it. In 10 years? Who knows. But frankly, who knows where digital photography will be in a decade.

B. D.

>The E-1 is an incredible piece of kit. Don't worry about 5MP - this is more than enough for high class photography. The E3 is going to replace the E-1. No one knows yet when the E-3 will hit the streets. It is almost certain to have an eight or more MP CCD as the E-300 already has this 4/3rds sensor. I've had one for many months now and it just keeps surprising and impressing me with its quality of build and output. It's not perfect but no camera is, they're all a compromise. For more information visit www.wrotniak.net - photo tidbits - E system, where there are several articles about E-1 and plenty of links. You can get one quite cheaply in certain parts of Europe at the moment. I'm not sure if the same offer is still available in UK. For the offer price there is little to touch it. The new E-3 will be priced at around $2300. Good Luck, John F. >

> There are many reasons why Canon and Nikon users should consider the E-1: 1. The superior coverage in wideangle with ED/L lenses at 1/2 the cost 2. Having a 100-400mm (equiv) f/2.8-3.5 AF-"ED/L"- you can't get that from Canon or Nikon at anything near the Olympus price 3. The 14-54 and the 50-200 both take 67mm filters - what a concept - two prime lenses that take the same filters!! When you are buying B+W it makes a huge difference! 3. Automatic sensor cleaning versus constant complaints (or complete ignorance) from Canon/Nikon owners 4. Superb weather seals and gaskets - nothing like it on anything but the most expensive Canon/Nikon 5. Up to 12 RAW images in a row at 3 to 4 fps - again you only get that from the more expensive Canon/Nikon

Essentially you can outfit yourself with truly professional gear from 28mm to 400mm for about the same price as one Canon/Nikon body that has similar pro features, albeit a larger sensor - but larger is not necessarily better for all shooters.

I have been quite surprised at the number of Canon/Nikon owners that have switched completely to the E-1 (as noted in a number of online forums).

More info at http://homepage.mac.com/luxborealis/Words/whye1.html

Cheers,

Terry

>

I am very pleased with my enlargements but am always looking for improvements - what is your workflow for producing 13x19 prints?

Terry

When I was producing them, I was using an Epson 1160 with a continuous inking system and Peizo inks. I'd do whatever work in Photoshop I wanted to do with the image, and then upsize it in PS, 10% at a time - In other words, resize to 110%, save, resize 110%, save, etc., until I get the file size I want...usually around 200 dpi - at proper viewing distance, the prints are terrific. For those who whine about the 5mgp sensor on the E-1, I'd simply ask about the sensors on the EOS1D and the NikonD1x and D1h - and look at who used/uses those cameras, and where their work appears.

Yes, having 8 or 10 mgp would be great - because it would make cropping more viable, as well as produce bigger gray scale images. But frankly, I think the image quality of the E-1 at 800 with 5 mgp is superior to that of the Evolt at 800 with 8mgp...

DB/ I am interested in producing some high quality B&W images in 16x20 range. Can you advise me on technique? I have an E1
Thanks

Back