DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What will this be called

I've been a Minolta user for a few years now, but not gone digital yet. I really don't fancy buying a Sony camera, so Nikon D200 here I come. I will be keeping my Dynax 5 for shooting slides, but not investing in Minolta/Sony gear any more.

I am 100% with you. Sony must respect Minolta user..Otherwise they will lose some business in this area. I love to see high end DSLR camera.

You can not dismiss Sony from High end equipment, their Video kit was = once a byname in cameras. Allied to their tie up with Zeiss and the fact that they make chips = for a huge variety of Digicam manufacturers we could see the camera = world recieve the biggest upset since the Leica was introduced.=20 Im not saying that this will happen but Sony is big enough to make it = happen if it wanted. Canon and Nikon are now looked upon as the only makers of Pro digital = SLRs in mainstream use. Fuji and Hasselblad teamed up to provide a medium format solution = selling to a miniscule market cameras that start at =A322,000. only time will tell

Any move by Sony that would reduce my equity in KM equipment including the support investments like compact flash memory would reduce my incentive to buy Sony equipment. I have invested $500 in compact flash memory. If Sony want to use their proprietary memory sticks that is a $500 incentive for me to go elsewhere. Fortunately, the only real investment I still absolutely need to make is a telephoto lens which I'd probably get from Tamron. Still if Sony brings out a camera body that is a very real practical improvement over the 7D, I'd be tempted.

Please note that the Sony DSC-R1 supports both Compact Flash card and = Sony's Memory Stick. It would be highly unlikely that Sony would not = continue the same policy in any new high end camera.

I have the R1 and can confirm this. IMHO it is for sure that Sony will offer either both in their future DSLRs or only CF support. The latter one is doubtable, since Sony wants to sell also their own standard. If they would not offer the "double" solution á la R1, they would decrease any sales potential in their memory stick products.

But they have to offer CF Cards support, otherwise this would be another hurdle to invest in the Sony-Minolta System for newbies...

I hope there may be an R2 soon. I think that these electronic viewfinder cameras may be the way ahead rather than the current range of adapted film cameras but the manufacturers need to sort out out the viewing screens and give them quality at least on a par with the external LCD panels. The R1's external panel is too small IMO but otherwise good.
Following the liasion with KM, Sony should also be able to give us image stabilisation.
So far as I know, only Olympus so far has tackled the dust on the sensor problem when changing lenses. Fast wide ranging zoom lenses fixed lenses solve this.
Whether or not Sony wil produce a full size sensor is a moot point and I have my doubts certainly in cameras like the R1 as it would surely make the lens huge.
If they would do so for their DSLR's it would be a terrific bonus for Minolta film camera users who already own a collection of lenses and it would also make it more feasible to use second hand lenses.
It is an exciting time.

Unfortunately, Sony advises that the batteries and the vertical grip of the 7D are not compatible with the new A100. Very disappointing.

Back