DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Nikon Z6, Z7 and a lens roadmap

dirk

DPRF-Founder
Administrator
Finally we get the details, images and first youtube videos about the new Nikon mirrorless fullframe system. The Z7 will have around 46MP and is available end of September. The Z6 will have 24 MP and will be available end of November.

Prices:

• Nikon Z7 Kit body + FTZ Bajonettadapter: 3.849,00 €
  • Nikon Z7 Kit 24-70mm1:4 S: 4.299,00 €
  • Nikon Z7 Kit 24-70mm1:4 S + FTZ Bajonettadapter: 4.449,00 €
  • Nikon Z 6 Kit body + FTZ Bajonettadapter: 2.449,00 €
  • Nikon Z6 Kit 24-70mm1:4 S: 2.899,00 €
  • Nikon Z6 Kit 24-70mm1:4 S + FTZ Bajonettadapter: 3.049,00 €
  • NIKKOR Z 24–70 mm 1:4 S: 1.099,00€
  • NIKKOR Z 35 mm 1:1,8 S: 949,00 €
  • NIKKOR Z 50 mm 1:1,8 S: 679,00 €
  • Lensadapter FTZ: 299,00 €
So this will not be cheap, but still priced very attractive.

At the beginning there will be 3 Z-lenses available:

24-70/4.0
35/1.8
50/1.8

Roadmap:

Nikon-Z-Mount-Lens-Roadmap-650x379.jpg

In 2019:

• 58mm f/0.95
  • 20mm f/1.8
  • 85mm f/1.8
  • 24-70mm f/1.8
  • 70-200mm f/2.8
  • 14-30mm f/4
In 2020:

• 50mm f/1.2
  • 24mm f/1.8
  • 14-24mm f/2.8
  • Three more Z lenses

web-.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D810
  • Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/20
  • 1/125 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

web--3.jpg

web--2.jpg

web--5.jpg

web--6.jpg

web--7.jpg

web-02.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D810
  • 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6
  • 220.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/100 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

Videos:

Nikon Z-system brochure is as an attachment at the end

So will you order it? What are your thoughts about this new system? What do you expect now from the competition?

Attachments

• EXIF
    Z7_Z6_Brochure.pdf
    15.6 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
  • Articulating LCD - good.
  • Fixed viewfinder (apparently) - bad. The Fuji GFX-50S still leads the way.
  • Assuming that Nikon have not foolishly gone down the Sony "Star-eater firmware" route, these could be a winner with astrophotographers.

Why do you compare the Nikon Z6 / Z7 with a Medium Format camera? The price ranges are very different ;)
Because both are essentially the same concept: big CMOS sensor, mirrorless, EVF, tilt LCD.

And because €4000 vs €6000 is not that different. The price difference is mainly for the larger sensor.

Nikon had interchangeable viewfinders in their 35mm F series, up to the F4. The top pro SLR of every 35mm manufacturer also had them - Canon F1, Pentax LX, Minolta XK, Praktica VLC. Interchangeable viewfinders are even easier to execute now since the interface is electronic, rather than optical. So what's stopping them? It would also set them apart from Sony; give them an advantage in a market that's becoming more crowded.

Because both are essentially the same concept: big CMOS sensor, mirrorless, EVF, tilt LCD.

They are totally different cameras with different features for a different usergroup. You can not shoot sports or anything fast moving with a GFX. You do not have the lens selection/range with a GFX. There is basically nothing in common between the two.

And because €4000 vs €6000 is not that different.

Where do you get these prices? The difference is a lot more!

Nikon Z7 body only list price : $3,396.95 // €3,550

Nikon Z6 body only list price: $1,996.95 // €2,150

Fuji GFX body only list price: $6,499.95 // €6,990

So the GFX costs around 3,100 USD more than the Nikon Z7 and is around 4,500 USD more expensive than the Z6. And if you look at the prices of the GFX lenses, it will be also significant more expensive. The difference in € is even more.

I know there are promotions from time to time, but this will be also the case for a Nikon Z6 or Z7 as soon as they are a few months available.

But I do not think, that someone who is interested in a Nikon Z6 or Z7 will be interested in a Fuji GFX or Hasselblad and vice versa. Different tools for different needs and totally different price ranges ;)

Seems like a conservative but solid effort, with a sensible enough lens strategy, given Nikon is about the high end. They appear to have concentrated on the technical advantages of the mirrorless platform, rather than trying to make it small and light for holiday snaps. Presumably more accessible, smaller sensor versions with small lenses will follow. Glad to see in-body stabilisation and compatibility with old lenses - those two go well together. Not surprised that they dropped AF-D screwdriver AF support. Hopefully fully compatible with CLS, although I didn't see it mentioned. All a bit expensive for me at this point, and I gave up being a beta tester for Nikon years ago, but in a few years I can see using one - with the same old lenses I'm using now!!

I do think Nikon made a very smart move with the Z6 / Z7. For me it is first of all a "statement" of Nikon. A statement that people interested in Nikon know from now on, that Nikon is taking the MLU market also very serious and that Nikon is capable of producing powerful mirrorless camera with fullframe sensors. So no point for looking only at Sony in the future.

Secondly Nikon indicates with the numbering and fetaure list vs. their DSLR line, that they plan to offer all desired alternatives to its huge DSLR productline also without the mirror. But not on day 1 all together to avoid cannibalising itself too much. They obviously oicked for the first models the segemnt in which they had the most success. This was/is Nikon D750 and D850.

Featurewise the Z7 seems to be slighty less powerful than the D850 if a professional photographer needs to maximize everything. But the differences are for marginal. So the pro might still buy in 2019 a D850 instead of a Z7, but the affluent enthusiast might rather buy the Z7, for the EVF and smaller size/weight alone. Since the D850 is oversold anyway and Nikon is not able to meet the demand, they do not risk to shoot in their own foot with the Z7. Thanks to this ability to offer two fresh and very good products at the same time for both target groups, it is a win-win situation for both, Nikon and the user.

Similar the Z6. Although I see the Z6 superior to the D750 since the sensor of the D750 is now 4 years old and the AF capabilities might be better with the Z6 too. My interpretation is that Nikon tries to push the Z6 more and might not bring a successor of the D750 anytime soon. A win-win situation again for both, Nikon and the user. Nikon saves money by offering only one product for this segment and does not need to develop a D750 successor of which the sales numbers decreased after 4 years anyway and the user gets not only the newest tec in a new body, but also futureproof as a mirrorless camera with the new lens mount.

Thanks to the adapter, you have immediate access to one of the biggest lens choices you can dream off.

What Nikon has not yet to offer - and this will come in the future for sure - are the products for the typical D600/D5 users. I understand this for the D600. Before selling the almost same trechnology for cheap, you will try to squeeze the market with products which have a higher margin. Everybody is doing iot the same way. So will have to wait still some time for a D600 type of Z camera. I expect a D5 type of camera for the next Olympics or earlier, depending on what Canon what will bring on the market.

The most interesting question for me is at the moment whether and when Nikon will introduce APS-C mirrorles cameras. I think they have too. It was the biggest market for them in the past and it has the most benefits to offer a small and light MLU system thanks to smaller lenses.

Time will tell...

The big issue for me hasn't been raised much - durability. There are already many mirrorless solutions on the market, but for photographers using their gear hard in rough conditions, SLRs have remained the toughest gear to depend on. I don't see an engineering reason for that, but a marketing one. Other brands have opted for lighter construction than Nikon traditionally use.
I invested in a mirrorless system because it had more advanced video capability than my Nikon SLR gear. Less than 3 years on, 2 out of 3 camera bodies and 3 out of 4 lenses of that 'non-Nikon' system are dead and in the bin. The Nikon gear used concurrently for stills (including Nikon 1) are still going strong.
So I for one am interested in a Nikon mirrorless solution if they can keep it affordable while providing traditional Nikon robustness.

So I for one am interested in a Nikon mirrorless solution if they can keep it affordable while providing traditional Nikon robustness.

Yes, I would like that too. As far as I understood it Nikon tries to hit exactly your point with Z6 and Z7. At least it looks like that from the information provided so far. Have you looked at the Z-System brochure? There are more infomation about the development strategy of the Z6 and Z7.

Due to a technical issue which I was not able to fix yet, I can not upload the big PDF file here in the English forum. On the German sister site it is available in English. But you need to be logged in for that. As soon as I fixed the issue here, I will post again here.

Back