DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss Contax MS 45mm f2 for M mount

wang

This new lens arrives today. It was a Contax G45 f2 lens being converted to Leica M mount. What do you think ?

96938.jpg

This new lens arrives today. It was a Contax G45 f2 lens being converted to Leica M mount. What do you think ? >

Joseph:

Why would you choose the Contax G 45mm instead of a Leica M 50mm, other that price.

Thank You:

Gilbert

It costed as much as a new Summicron M50 2 for this conversion.

I decided to convert after owning both Summicron 50 2 and Zeiss M50 2. All three lenses are different. Sum 50 2 excels in B+W, Zeiss M50 excels in bokeh and skin rendition, G45 excels in sharpness, being sharpest of the three.

http://www.hayatacamera.co.jp/services/miyazaki.html#01

I basically asked my Japanese friend to get it for me in Japan.

96946.jpg

Well, I would like to add some details in my statements.

G45 2 is definitely sharper than Summicron M50 2 at f2.8 and higher up.

In the past, it was true that G45 2 was not as sharp as Summicron M50 2 at f2. As we know that G45 2 has to be put on G2 and G2 has focusing problem at f2. The conclusion of the past would be unfair to G45 as it could be due to the problem of the body.

As now I have the G45 2 converted, I will certainly let you know about the truth which is better at f2 in due course.

I have never had a problem with focusing the G45/f2 on the Contax G2 at f2.0. The focus has always been where I wanted it -- and indeed even at f2.0, quite sharp.

The population of the various G2 cameras is heterogenous, by which I mean either you are lucky to have a good G2, or one with focusing error.

After a few rolls of use, the converted G45 2 M has a very good f2, better than both Summicron M50 2 and Zeiss M50 2, in terms of sharpness.

96982.jpg

Back