DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

3 new Olympus DSLRs

> Wow! It's great to see a DSLR getting a swivellable live LCD monitor "...allowing you to take shots from angles impossible up until now." and, wait for it; "...displays 100 percent of the field of view" - only 4 years after my Olympus C-5060! Also "...you can check the effects of white balance adjustment and exposure compensation right on the LCD monitor, in real time, as you compose your shot." - 2 years after my Sony DSC-R1. On the Sony I can also check the effects of white balance adjustment and exposure compensation right in the EVF, in real time as I compose my shot without the screen being obscured by bright sunlight. Maybe that will be next DSLR 'advance'. I hope my Sony will last until then.. > >

> Earl: I agree with your comment about OM culture but it seems there is too much technology to fit into an E-4XX style body, which is a pity as the E-400 is as near as OM size/feel as possible (not including the strap lugs!). Olympus includes a tribute to OM in their design of the prism hump which, with the flash raised, looks exactly like a black OM1. Interestingly I was talking to a UK Olympus dealer today and asked when he expected the E-3 to be available to purchase. His reply was a bit depressing in that he expected Olympus will probably miss the Christmas rush and possibly the year! His recent experience with the company does not bode well - basically very little stock and poor support. This is a great pity but time will tell. As for the E-3 it is full of promise and I'm anxious to see the IQ from the Panny L10 sensor it uses with some Olympus magic in the new processing engines. >

I am a long time Contax man and have yet to find a DSLR which will match up to my current film cameras at a price I can afford.

I am very interested in the Olympus philosophy and generally like their DSLR cameras but the tiny viewfinders of the 410 and 510 put me right off. I considered the magnifier which is available for them but then read that you lose the high eye point.

I then thought that, if I am to go digital, perhaps I would have a look at the new Sony especialy as I would prefer full frame (and it seems that Sony is likely to bring out a full frame camera). Now the new E3 has appeared together with what sounds to be a marvellous viewfinder which to me is extremely important.

It sounds to be a wonderful camera but it does still have a small sensor and I wonder if the small sensor can ever be as good as a large one in terms of matching film.

While I would prefer smaller lighter camera, I get on alright with my Contax RX which is quite large and heavy but solid.

Peter: You are features that have been in digicams for various lengths of time to DSLRs There's a difference.

The E-3 does sound nice, and I cannot wait to look through the viewfinder with the new f2.0 14-35mm zoom they also announced!

In regards to the sensor size question, which comes up all the time as I talk to my Canon and Nikon using friends, I have to ask: why do you care? Some people like to use wide angle lenses, and they do not want a total loss of DOF control, so large sensor size makes sense there. Some people really need superlative low-light shooting ability, again a big win for large sensors. Other have a bunch of existing lenses they want to use with no conversion factor, and that makes sense. But if you are happy with the angle of view of the four-thirds lens offerings (from 7mm up to 500mm, or 14mm to 1000mm in 35mm equivalence), and are content to shoot mostly at ISO 400 or lower, and don't need to continue using existing lenses, then I'm not sure the substantial expense of the full-frame sensor is worth it.

For me, the sensors of my E-300 and Lumix L1 are the right size. The image are big enough to make nice 16 X 20 inch prints, even with some cropping. The overall image quality is really to my liking. There are a million reasons to choose a particular DSLR, but be careful on the sensor size issue, as for many people it is not the 'big' factor. Then again, for some it is a 'big' deal... What counts is making good pictures, and the four-thirds system definitely helps me do that, even with the relatively small sensor. Fact is, I wouldn't want to move to another system just because of the sensor size. I might consider moving to Nikon if I keep having to shoot at night though, as the current performance on the four-thirds sensors above ISO400 is not what I would like. But so far the number of times I have to be at ISO800 or (God forbid) ISO1600 are few. My hope is the E-3 is a bit better than the current line-up in terms of noise and shadow detail at high ISO settings.

Cheers! - marc

John Strain (Jsmisc) wrote on October 19:

' 2007 - 12:57 am,It sounds to be a wonderful camera but it does still have a small sensor and I wonder if the small sensor can ever be as good as a large one in terms of matching film. '
When the Leica came out people said the "miniature" film size would not be acceptable for serious work.

Today format sizes, whether film or sensor are not about absolute best, but the purpose and use of the film/sensor for the situation or end use of the image.

As a user of 4x5 cameras, I sometimes look down on Hasselblad/Zeiss images. Such little cameras are toys.

I think the difference between 35mm now and from the '20's when the Leica appeared is in the vast improvement in film which has made 35mm viable for top quality work. I can understand the suspicions felt at the time. 35mm still doesn't compare with medium format and of course as you say, large format. From what I see, I don't think that it can now compete with digital medium format but that is way outside my price range.

I reckon you can always tell when a large format camera has been used, for ex&le Joe Cornish's pictures. I have never tried it but have always admired it.

The E3 looks to be a lovely camera and it seems to be a more reasonable price too whereas the new top Canon for ex&le is £6000 before lenses and it is a huge camera.

I know that people who bought the E1 were very satisfied with it and I do like the idea of a sensor size designed from scratch to be a new standard. It also means that you don't have to bother about whether it is full frame or APS-C or whatever. What you see is what you get. It s a little disapointing that the camera is large and heavy.

I just wonder if a small sensor is not a bit like half frame and that despite all technical advances, it is good but there is a limit to the quality you can squeeze out of it.

I can see the point that it depends what you want to use it for and certainly a 16x20 would be adequate for me. I contribute to a library and they require large preferably uninterpolated files. This is one of the reasons I have so far stayed mainly with scanned film.

I am nearly ready to jump though and I think that all in all this new camera might be "the one" partly based on admittedly heart ruling the head feelings but also on price and on people's experiences with the 4/3rds format. I would have to sell most of my Contax gear but I wouldn't forsake film entirely. Changing makes and technology is a big step because if got wrong, it is an expensive mistake especially when you have to build up a new lens collection as well. That is why discussion groups like this are so helpful when you can chat to people who have actual experience of equipment.

I have heard that Olympus support is not the best and this is also an important point.

I am really looking forward to getting my hands on one.

Back