DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

My M6 classic has corrosion at the hot shoe location. Is it serious? Can it be fixed? Thanks, guy!

Hi all,
Here in Hong Kong, according to the dealers I visited, the M6 has been discontinued and they could no longer order any stock from Germany! And there are afew remaining stock left and prices already risen! I am sure this has happened, cos the dealers I visited are authorised Leica dealers!

Thanks,

[Yes, John, it is true. The M6 is "nearly" part of the past. I say this because as Leica announces the end of the M6, it has also announced the issue of a commemorative edition to pay homage to the M6, titled "The Last M6." There will be 999 cameras manufactured for the entire world, each marked with the title "LEICA M6: 1984-2002". Each camera will be marked with a special serial number 001-999, and delivered in a beautifully crafted wooden box with a black silk inlay. Each camera will be accompanied by a hand-signed certificate signed by Mr Cohn and Mr Coenen. Dealers across the world will receive limited allocations of the camera. Each model is being produced in the following numbers: M6TTL Black 0.58 - 249 cameras; M6TTL Chrome 0.58 - 61 cameras; M6TTL Black 0.85 - 269 cameras; M6TTL Chrome 0.85 - 420 cameras. After that, Leica says there will be no more M6 cameras. The first of these special edition cameras will start to ship in February. Manufacturer's list price is $3000.00 US, $2500.00 US for MAP (minimum advertised price). ]

Thanks Kit and John: To those of us who still hold excellent to mint M6 bodies I suppose there is the chance that we can continue to use our beloved camera(s) and not have much in the way of depreciation. Alternately, should one put the M6 in the vault, take it out to exercise the shutter every few months, and leave it to the grandchildren? Does anyone know how many M6 cameras were produced in total?

Elliot

> To those of us who still hold excellent to mint > M6 bodies I suppose there is the chance that we can continue to use > our beloved camera(s) and not have much in the way of depreciation. > Alternately, should one put the M6 in the vault, take it out to > exercise the shutter every few months, and leave it to the > grandchildren? Does anyone know how many M6 cameras were produced in > total? > > Elliot

Oh Elliot! The elves do not like to hear that their cameras are being held captive in bank vaults! My M6 is the most valuable thing I own. Consequently, I use it every day. Chances are your grandchildren will never appreciate it like you do, and even if they do, one that shows the marks of your daily use will make them cherish it all the more.

The one thing I wanted, (and did not get) that belonged to my grandfather was his sharpening stone. It showed the wear of years of honing his pocketknife beside the fireplace.

Your camera was built to take pictures in the light! Don't hide your camera under a bushel!

Sonny http://www.sonc.com

Hi Sonny: Agree....I use my M6 bodies almost all the time. Just being somewhat facetious. Interesting that I made a present of an M6 and the collapsable 50mm to my son. He gave it back saying that he has no time now. So...that outfit along with the older and well loved 35mm/1.4, and 90/2.0 are sitting around waiting for him to emerge. Cannot bring myself to sell them. Interesting that I have trouble selling many of my older cameras and gear...they have too many memories attached, and are almost like old friends. I know, irrational.

> eliott - agree it's hard. I have M6 classic but have switched to > using M7 for AE and better viewfinder for me but because this was the first good camera i got after my father died it is a classic in more ways than one. ernie

> > Your camera was built to take pictures in the light! Don't > hide your camera under a bushel! ==============================================================

Sonny, sad to say, but you are probably wasting your efforts. Yes, most people believe cameras were made to produce photographs. But some fools seem to think they are more valuable as paperweights in a bank vault......

New Guy advice wanted:
I'm thinking of getting a Leica M6TTL with a 35mm 1.4. I'm just new to Leicas, but would like any advice you might share. I own a Contax G2 and a Contax N1, but like the idea of the M6TTL. Should I go that route? Different lens? go with the M7? go with a 50mm?

Thanks in advance..

Jeff in Colorado

Hi Jeff in Colorado! I am doing the same thing and have the same questions. Thanks for asking them. I purchased the M6 TTL, so if I want to use flash I can. I was also told that the M6 can stand temperature changes more than the M7. I'm also considering a wider lens. You seem to have it narrowed down more than me. How is Colorado these days? Which part? I used to live in Nebraska and would get a "Colorado Fix" once or twice a year. Now that I'm in Atlanta and working in the non-profit sector, I don't get to Colorado.

Back