DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

A rumour but then I have been right twice before

To Clive Kenyon

Hi Clive, I'm writing about an old msg from you.

You said, "...The preferred method of payment is Western Union which they tell you > is safe - it isn't, even with their stated safeguards..."

I'm going to buy some items (not cameras or lenses) via western union. Should I?

You scare me a lot, but exactly how Western Union service isn't safe? did u experienced bad?

Could you kindly explain me?

Thank you for your suggestion.

Luke

> You scare me a lot, but exactly how Western Union service isn't safe? > did u experienced bad?

These are weasel words that PayPal (and eBay) and Western Union use to guarantee the transaction is "safe". The sending of PAYMENT is safe, in other words, if you send me $100 via PayPal, or Western Union, I'll get it guaranteed...but that is no guarantee that YOU will get what you paid me for, and if you don't, too bad for you...nothing you can do. So, if you consider the complete deniability of responsibility by WU and PP for you receiving your item safe...well, have at it.

What you might consider is using an escrow service, that is one way you can guarantee you get your merchandise. Another way, is only buy from someone who directly takes a credit card, therefore you can dispute the charges. You can in fact dispute charges with PayPal, even though they say you can't...but it's problematic, and only works if your credit card company is cooperative.

Regards,

Austin

Luke,
You might have taken this out of context. Western Union is no worse than any other method of paying. But it is often used by rogue sellers who have stolen a seller's eBay ID and are advertising goods that you will never receive.

The warning signs are:

The goods are a lot cheaper than elsewhere.
They are usually photographed in their boxes or a photo is downloaded from the maker's site.
The seller claims to be out of the country.
The seller makes representation that the WU method is safe and gives safeguards that do not stop them cashing your payment.
If the auction items differ from those usually sold by that seller (check their feedback).

Clive

Simon,

You've been right twice before - but how many predictions did you make to hit two? Or was this a prediction for the SL300? You could just claim that Kyocera blew through their pricing point through a great engineering effort and count this as 3 correct predictions ;)

Anyway, we do appreciate your passing on rumors, even if they don't always play out. I'm still hopeful that your prediction is correct, and that the launch was just delayed.

Bob

Hey, what ever happened to that "new" Contax N-mount digital with a price point around the Canon 10D??

The cash has been waiting...
...how much longer will it have to wait?

I'm sure just about everyone here would jump on one if it was offered (hear that Kyocera, CZ, Sony?, Kodak?). Or do I (and many others) just give up and buy a Canon??

Back