DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

First impressions Digilux 1

Dear Mr. Rien Steenwijk
I'am afraid I can't help you with your questions now but I will visit my camerashop next Tuesday and forward the questions to them, who knows.
It is nice to have another Digilux fan in Holland. If you like to exchange experiences in a shortcut please let me know on my mailadress ( ben.jacobs@hetnel.nl ).

Greating Ben Jacobs (Veldhoven NL)

I know that the Lumix/Digilux has the burst mode, but I wanted to know if there is any delay between shots when NOT in burst mode? Can you take several shots in a short span, say over 5 seconds?

For me the "burst mode" does not work well for Leica M-type decisive moment street photography. I need to be able to take an image, then a few seconds later take another one. Or, will this camera be writing to the disk?

Can anyone give me some timing ex&les of how quickly you can shoot when not in burst mode?

Thanks,
Jim

I will be buying my first digital camera and was considering Leica Digilux1,Canon PowerShot G2 and Sony DSC85. I have both a Nikon and Hasselblad for non digital photography which I have used for years. My husband has a Sony DSC75 which has captured lovely night shots while traveling without additional accessories.

I went to a camera store that carries pro equipment and supplies and not just point and shoot cameras. They no longer carried the smaller Sony cameras. A salesperson showed me pictures of the same shot taken in full automatic mode with a Leica Digilux1 and a Canon PowerShot G2 printed with the same printer. The difference was dramatic - the Leica shots had sharper images even in background objects and much better color. I will be using this camera primarily for orchid flowers including some closeups, to send pictures on the internet and as a take anywhere camera. Has anyone taken comparison photos using any of these cameras? Thank you for your help.

TT

>Tina - I haven't compared the Digilux and the Canon PowerShot G2, but I have compared the Digilux to other digital cameras. I'm not surprised that you found a dramatic difference in the Leica photographs. I have found the photos from the Digilux to be exceptionally good as long as the ISO is 100. At the higher ISOs there is considerable noise, but with the fast 2.0 lens, 100 ISO should be fine for most photographs. You may have a problem with the closeups if you intend to get really close. The Digilux does not focus nearly as close as the Nikon Coolpix 990, for ex&le. The quality will be more than enough for internet. I have made 16x20 prints with no problem. I'd be glad to try to answer any other questions if I can.

Tina Manley www.tinamanley.com

Tina,

Compare the Fuji S602Z.it has 6x optical zoom and macro close ups. I think it is the best camera for under $700.00 I use Leica SL2 and Rollei SL66 with Zeiss lenses.It can generate raw files of 6 megapixels! Pete

follow up to a previous post - I just received my extra battery and 64 Meg SD card from the Leica rebate yesterday. A bit late but everything seems to be in order.

Wish list, would anyone care to add to it and perhaps leica can respond ?

Leica R lens compatible.
Fovian 3mg pixel chip
capable of taking a 1gb microdrive

> > > Danny

No to the R lens, it would be too large. I always carry my *Original*=20 Digilux everywhere because it's so small. Leica should have made the=20 new Digilux smaller.

No to the microdrive. I'd rather see solid state electronics in this=20 sort of device, with bluetooth type technology for sending images to my=20=

webspace via mobile phone to be evaluated/printed or whatever later.

Fovian chip? I don't know what this is. Sounds like something that=20 Captain James T Kirk should worry about! But if it's any good then I=20 want one please.

Jon > >

Back