DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss TeleApotessar T 400mm f4 N First Impressions

Simon:

We were comparing the 4/400 Zeiss to the 4/400 Canon not the 2.8/400 Canon. So, same f-stop. The Zeiss is somewhere between in the two Caons in weight and size.

I agree on your technology point.
Jan

Sorry to intrude here, but I thought I'd offer an opinion based on the fact that I have both systems. Canon: 1Ds, (10D just sold to fund the 1DMKII on order) EOS 1v, 16-35L, 24/1.4L.35/1.4L,50/1.4,85/1.2L,100/2.8 macro,135/2L, 70-200/2.8 L IS. Contax: N-1, ND, 17-35/2.8, 24-85/3.5, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 70-300/4.5 and all the 645 glass excluding the 210 but included the 350/4 and 1.4X APO extender.

The 2 systems are quite different in many respects. I use the Canons for my professional work where a big MF digital back is overkill (like weddings,events,action, and smaller print work). I almost never use it for my personal work. For that I use a Leica M and Contax N gear.

If I did not have professional needs for a faster machine with a more sophisticated flash and high level processing system, then the N stuff would be all that I would need.

Each different system out there has a distinctive look and feel to the results. Some can see it and some cannot. I can, so it is important to me in my personal work to be pleased with the results. That is why I still use Contax and Leica gear.

Well said Marc.

I do have a question, I shot a portrait a couple weeks ago with my buddy. I used the ND with NAM-1 + 80mm lens. He used the 10D with the 100mm (non L glass). We took the pictures to a pro lab to do a straight print. The lab guy said all the Canon pictures are sharper than mine. I know it is not a fair comparison since the ND is full frame and I tends to shoot wide open, perhaps my hand is not that stable. That was my first time to use the ND and I don't even know what version of firmware I have. By looking at the some 8.5x11 pictures (briefly), I could not tell much different in term of color, skin tone, and bokeh. (We both shot with JPEG1) Does anyone have the same experience?

That make me thinking, perhaps the mk II with a L glass is not a bad choice. 1Ds will be even better for large prints and full frame.

I do enjoy shooting with the ND, ergonomic and handling just like the N1, well build, full frame and I can use all the seven AF Zeiss lenses. Chip is a little old and camera capture is slow, but for personal work, I can live with it. RAW file images are beautiful with the ShapeRaw developer.

As a side note, it appears to me the TLA360 performs better than the 10D with the 550. I was told the TTL or eTTL in dSLR is not accurate due to the reflectivity is different from film. The 10D seems to suffer more. ?????

Albert.

It is difficult to say why your photos were not as sharp as your friend's Canon. There are so many things that can affect sharpness both while taking the photo, and afterwards when processing. Both Irakly and I have shots from the ND that are so sharp they would cut your eyes if you looked to closely ( a joke ; -)

I have the Zeiss 80/1.4 and can tell you it is very sharp compared to my Canon 100/2.8 II Macro.

If this is a contest between your friend and you, put both cameras on a tripod and shoot the same subject with the same lighting. Then process the images the same.

Note: There are different levels of sharpening and contrast that can be set inside the cameras using custom functions. Yours may be set on low and his on high. It should be low, and you should use photoshop to sharpen using the Unsharp filter. The PS Unsharp is a far more accurate and powerful than anything in any camera. Besides, an image should be sharpened at the size print you are going to make.

Back