DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Do photographers posting here want honest feedback, or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s that expression, “one man’s rubbish is another man’s treasure”?

If someone wants C&C they should ask for it, otherwise subjective criticism, no matter how gentle or correct in the responder's opinion, should be withheld.

And, calling someone who doesn't want critique a "snowflake" isn't exactly helpful. It's good that this forum has an ignore button, n'est-ce pas?

So where is the ignore button because I can't see one?
Click on the Avatar of the post made by somebody you want to ignore and you'll see an IGNORE button.

ignore.jpg

The question I ask myself after reading many of the comments in this thread is, are we clear that this is a forum?.

Got to say I agree with RBIV when he says
plenty of images could use some critique, if delivered in a kind way
It is how it is said that really matters, the best critique is constructive not destructive, it is not a license to be unpleasant. There are many styles of photography and this needs to be remembered, just because you do not like that style there is no reason to criticise it unpleasantly - the real question is, is it a good or bad example of that style? For example, I am very interested in photography of things religious, but many people do not like such photographs and their criticism says more about their personal attitudes than it does about the image. When writing any critique of anything the writer would always be well advised to remember this.

The question I ask myself after reading many of the comments in this thread is, are we clear that this is a forum?.
Gary is busy showing folks the ignore button, kinda like this:
Got to say I agree with RBIV when he says

It is how it is said that really matters, the best critique is constructive not destructive, it is not a license to be unpleasant. There are many styles of photography and this needs to be remembered, just because you do not like that style there is no reason to criticise it unpleasantly - the real question is, is it a good or bad example of that style? For example, I am very interested in photography of things religious, but many people do not like such photographs and their criticism says more about their personal attitudes than it does about the image. When writing any critique of anything the writer would always be well advised to remember this.
True, but that won't always ring true for many that get triggered by any form of critique. We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended.

Image deleted by moderator.
@stig Please no offending postings or images

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t mind if anyone critiques my photos… as long as critics don’t mind that I don’t give a flying frog about their criticism… ;)
I don’t consider myself a capital “P” photographer.
I am more of a naturalist who photographs nature and wildlife because I am there and I like to record wild behaviour and learn from it. My images I hope, reflect interesting aspects of the natural world around us and our interaction with that world. I have no pretensions that my photography has any technical or artistic merit or significance.

Peace out peoples
I, too, am a hobbyist "p"hotographer who enjoys shooting animals (and for some reason, I don't enjoy shooting people...even my own family.) I rarely print anything, but do enjoy editing and looking at the images on my monitor. I'm self-taught (kudos to DPR for just about all that I have learned) and haven't joined any photo clubs (mainly because I don't want to get into the ensuing competition that usually arises.) Although I find my finished products to be very pleasing to me, I also know that they can probably stand to be improved...but I'm not looking to climb another steep learning curve. Although, I do have to say that I don't mind nicely put helpful criticism. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that when I posted images on DPR, I thought them as being more interesting than being technically correct. I just wanted folks t like them. However, if I want helpful criticism, I'd like to post on a dedicated subform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back