DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Nikon Z fc not accepting 1TB memory card

jaymc

Picked up a SanDisk 1TB microSDXC for my Z fc and it is unable to format. It formats no problem in my D850. Any ideas?

What format are you formatting it in? FAT32? exFAT? I wonder if the camera is trying to format it as FAT32, but FAT32 doesn't go up to 1TB?

Picked up a SanDisk 1TB microSDXC for my Z fc and it is unable to format. It formats no problem in my D850. Any ideas?
Is the Firmware version up to date? Support is available for 1TB SanDisk SDXC cards - https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/na/NSG_article?articleNo=000042520&configured=1&lang=en_SG
2023-04-14_11-53-02.jpg

although it doesn't say anything about microSDXC

What format are you formatting it in? FAT32? exFAT? I wonder if the camera is trying to format it as FAT32, but FAT32 doesn't go up to 1TB?
I initially formatted it to exFAT in my M1 MacBook Pro. Maybe it's something about being a microSD vice a regular SD?

I have seen this effect on the Nikon D500. The SanDisk 128Gb microSDXC didn't work. But the standard size SanDisk SDXC 128Gb was recognised, formatted and worked.

There is a microcontroller inside each card. It is slightly different for microSDXC and SDXC. Could this be the problem? I haven't heard of this happening with any other system besides Nikon.
Maybe try another "adapter container"? microSDXC-> [____] -> SDXC socket?

Of course, it's always better to format the card in the camera.
This is especially important with Lexar cards, which have a completely non-standard microcontroller, making it almost impossible to recover data if the card is damaged.

I initially formatted it to exFAT in my M1 MacBook Pro. Maybe it's something about being a microSD vice a regular SD?

I have seen this effect on the Nikon D500. The SanDisk 128Gb microSDXC didn't work. But the standard size SanDisk SDXC 128Gb was recognised, formatted and worked.

There is a microcontroller inside each card. It is slightly different for microSDXC and SDXC. Could this be the problem? I haven't heard of this happening with any other system besides Nikon.
Maybe try another "adapter container"? microSDXC-> [____] -> SDXC socket?

Of course, it's always better to format the card in the camera.
This is especially important with Lexar cards, which have a completely non-standard microcontroller, making it almost impossible to recover data if the card is damaged.

Really, it's a shame about what happened. I'm sorry to hear that.
The only option is to contact Nikon support. But since they didn't say anything about microSDXC in the description, most likely there will be an unanswered reply.

Always format the card in the camera, not on a PC.

Back