DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax 159MM

Hi Stuart,

A couple of thoughts re: 159MM vs 167MT. If the 159 comes with the W7 autowinder, I personally would pick the 159MM. You can remove the autowinder and have a small lightweight compact camera. When you want an autowinder you can then attach it. With the autowinder in place, you have a second vertical shutter release which I find invaluable. I find it makes hand holding vertical shots much easier and steadier. Furthermore, all Contax cameras are quite ergonomic but the 159MM with the W7 winder attached feels the best of all in my hands (I've used just about all of the Contax cameras). I know this is a personal thing and may vary from user to user. Do try to figure out which feels best to you. If you do get the 167MT (also a nice camera), do consider the P7 accessory battery grip/pack which improves the balance of the camera. You still have only one shutter release though. The advantages of the 167 are an interchangeable focusing screen - I like the gridded matte screen personally, spot metering, automatic exposure bracketing and shutter speed priority autoexposure (which I personally almost never use).

Hi there, the 159mm has 1/100 flash syncx (auto) and 1/250s manual mode wheras the 167MT has only 1/125s

Some of the 159MM needed a lot of repair (rumors, hearsay) --Rainer

as alreaedy mentioned here, i repeat:if you hold 159mm with winder for portraitshots with heavy lens, then winder will loose contact to camera and will not work anymore... this due to stupid plastic design. fantastic camera-stupid winder-design!

the first series had a problem which have been solved. one switch need to be cleaned every 10 years.i guess depening on use. maybe this was the switch which caused the ttl-flash-problems i mentioned earlier.

FYI

I uploaded the broshure of the Contax 159MM in the scan section.

If I have more time, I will scan and upload also the manual.

dirk

Hi all,
does anybody have repairing manual for the 159 MM
Or does anybody know how to open the coverplate or
how to dismount the ASA knob.

THX

Vini

Hi I have a question about my contax 159mm. I have a TLA 20 Flash but I dont have the newer MM type lens I only have the AE lens .Would I be able to use the TTL metering and couple with all the lens aperture in flash mode thanks.

> ["With the 159MM and AE lenses, the 2 things you won't be able to use are both Program modes and Tv mode. The TTL should not be affected."] >

Back