DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Kangaroo photos

Steaphany

These are photos of Amaroo, he's a Tammar Wallaby and his name is from one of the Australian Aboriginal languages for "A Beautiful Place".

I raise Tammar Wallabies and Amaroo is my first hand raised baby. He's full grown and he's sitting in a cloth carry pouch while enjoying a treat of leaf lettuce and sweet potato. Right now I have 16 Tammars, one being a little baby face who watches everything from the safety of mommies pouch. I need to get a telephoto lens to get some nice photos of them since they are not comfortable being held as Amaroo is in these photos.

Tammar Wallabies are the smallest macropod, Kangaroos, Wallabies, etc, standing just 18" when full grown.

Attachments

• SDIM0304s.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM0304s.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 5
  • SDIM0302s.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM0302s.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 4
  • SDIM0298s.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM0298s.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 5
Hi, Steaphaney, nice to see some more pics of your "extended" family. They sure look like cute little creatures.

Sincere regards, Jim R.

Thanks Jim, Yes, I agree with you about Tammars being cute, which is why I have and raise them.

I know you don't have Tammar Wallabies near Wodonga, to see them live, you'd either have to visit a zoo or travel to the few islands off the WA or SA coast where they remain. The closest to you would probably be Kangaroo Island.

Which is why I mentioned seeing Tammar Wallabies at a zoo.

Even Kangaroo Island is over 1000 Km from you

Yeah, well, I guess zoos and I are not exactly on agreeable terms. There is a lot of animal mistreatment in those places. Particularly the ones closest to me. Run by people that are obsessed with the almighty dollar and think photographers are pretty low on their hit parade list.

Carry a tripod around those establishments and you are accosted by the "general" rule that whatever you shoot shall remain the property of the zoo management. No ifs, no buts.

Sincere regards, Jim R

Does that mean they prohibit cameras or just try to charge photographers for each photo taken ?

It's sad that shooting personal photos of Australian wildlife is easier for me here in Texas with Wallabies who live in my home than it's for you in Australia.

Steaphaney, there is a demand by management for outright exclusive ownership of images, without fee. This was clearly explained to me by zoo staff AND is clearly printed on entry fee ticketing.

As for REAL wildlife out in the bush, that's no problem, providing you're not in a National or State Park. Then (if you play it by the book) you need to apply for permits and that can get expensive. Up to $550/day, but that includes permits for entire crews, supply of park rangers where required etc.

Another thing we professionals need to provide, when working in parks, is public liability insurance cover of $10 Million.

I avoid the authorities where possible by operating in more remote areas, where rangers seem to turn a blind eye (up to now) and are very friendly and helpful when contact is made.

Sincere regards, Jim R

Sounds like I'm fortunate to live in Texas. The only limitations, that I'm aware of is permission from the land owner to be there and to take photos, otherwise it's considered trespassing, since Texas has no "unowned" bush. If you are shooting from a publicly accessible location, a road side for example, there's no limit as long as the relevant traffic rules are followed.

I did a quick search of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department for anything regarding photography and the closest thing to a list of regulations was a pdf brochure on park photography stating:

–When appropriate, inform managers or other authorities of your presence and purpose.
Help minimize cumulative impacts and maintain safety.

–Learn the rules and laws of the location.
If minimum distances exist for approaching wildlife, follow them.

–In the absence of management authority, use good judgment.
Treat the wildlife, plants and places as if you were their guest.

–Prepare yourself and your equipment for unexpected events.
Avoid exposing yourself and others to preventable mishaps.

As far as the US National Park Service, they simply say that commercial/advertising photography requires a permit issued in advance. Anything personal is fine as long as the other park rules are followed.

I have not gone to any zoos recently, so I'm not sure what they currently impose. The Fort Worth Zoos web site photography policy states:

Visitor agrees not to commercially use any photography or reproduction in any form taken during any visits to the Fort Worth Zoo, and visitor grants permission to the Fort Worth Zoo and its agent to utilize Visitor's image, likeness and/or sound recordings for the purpose whatsoever in perpetuity.

One zoological park that I've been to and plan on visiting again when I have a nice collection of telephoto lenses is Fossil Rim in Glen Rose Texas, just a couple hours from my ranch. It is a private drive through park with primarily African hoof stock all at liberty. I recently contacted them on their photo regulations and was told to stay in my car, if I want to stop to shoot, pull over to the side of the drive as to not block traffic, after that I'm free to do as I please. Just pay the days admission and be out before closing. If I wanted a professional photographers tour, just ask, though I was not told what additional fees that brings on.

I just realized that I have never seen any listings describing how "photographer friendly" are various countries and states/provinces.

Hi All,

other countries, other regulations?! I do not know similar restrictions within Germany! You are absolutely free to shoot pictures in any zoo, you can think of!
It is a good thing to learn about other countries' habits. :)

SD14 / SIGMA 80-400mm EX OS

View attachment 874

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Attachments

• -Augenklimpern-.jpg
    EXIF
    -Augenklimpern-.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 6
Back