DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica R8 - User comments until June 2003

hi guys, i have benn shooting professionally for 28 years, i think i own 75 cameras, and if i do not own it, i have tried it. you will never get auto focus to match the sharpness of manual focus, and a good rangefinder will beat every camera made. the r8 is a great, sharp camera, but a lecia m will beat to for fine focus, and a mamyia 6 of 7 will beat every medium format camera made. jack

<I>the r8 is a great, sharp camera, but a lecia m will beat to for fine focus</I><P>
Be careful about making blanket statements like this; I'll bet I can focus my 400mm Telyt more accurately with the R8 than with an M.
36818.jpg

I am very new to the whole world of Leica. I just bought a new R8 body without a lens. For Christmas I received a Leitz Summicron-R 50mm f2 (made in Canada) lens. This lens has only two cams. I read about lenses appropriate for the R8 in the manual that came with the body but found the information confusing.

Does anyone know if I can use this lens on the R8 body? I don't want to attach the lens until I am sure. If I can use it with the R8, what will be my limitations?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Faisal HUDA

> [This lens will work perfectly well on an R8, Faisal, although in stop-down mode. I have the same situation with an 80-210 2-cam R lens

Mike]

Thank you very much for your help, Mike. I plan on taking my first pictures on a trip to Eastern Europe (Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Kolin) starting in Paris and going by car via the Swiss alps. If any picture turns out well, I will try to post them on this site.

Happy holidays!

Faisal HUDA

Ray, do you have a reference for where I can read/find the same warning from Leica. Everything else I have heard or read has said I am safe using the 2-cam lens on the R8.

Looking forward to your reply. I still haven´t mounted the lens on the body...

Faisal HUDA

> [ In the instructions book of my new R9, there are these remarks:

LEICA R lenses

All lenses and lens accessories from the Leica R range fit the LEICA R9 without any modifications. Some earlier lenses without automatic diaphragm, as well as various accessories without automatic diaphgram, can only be used in aperture priority or manual modes (see "Stop-down metering", p. 141). Most Leica R lenses can be fitted with an electric contact strip for data transmission and electronic exposure compensation. To do this, however, the LEICAFLEX SL/SL2 control cams must be removed, i.e. These lenses can then only be used on Leica R models (from LEICA R3).

LEICAFLEX SL/SL2 lenses without control cam

Leicaflex model lenses and accessories (without the R control cam) may not be used on the LEICA R9, as they can damage the camera. If they are to be used on the LEICA R9 or other Leica R cameras (from the LEICA R3), they must be fitted with the control cam. ]

Back