Problems with used Contax RTSIII

D

dfm

Help! I have just received a used "factory refurbished" RTSiii from a well known US distributor. Besides it looking a little rougher than my interpretation of 9+ (not a big deal)I have a few problems. Firstly, as you hold the camera and rotate it are you supposed to hear something loose inside? SOunds like the film pressure plate moves around. Hardly the "rock" like feel I was counting on! Also, it takes anywhere from 2 to 25 stabs at the release to turn on the viewfinder display with the main switch on (same if you use the vertical release or the exposure check). Under these circumstances(main switch on, no display in the finder)the camera will not function - ie. takin glonger than 16 seconds to set up a shot after metering means when I press the button on my remote release switch the shutter does not function, and i have to tap away to turn on the finder display then fire the shutter. The point of my post - I have to decide wether to send it back for replacement (and who knows what a used replacement body might look/function like), send it back and cough up another $1000 for a new one ( I WILL have an RTSIII!!) or have it repaired under warranty. Maybe someone out there has had similar expereinces and can give me some guidance. Thanks in advance.

D

dfm

Help! I have just received a used "factory refurbished" RTSiii from a well known US distributor. Besides it looking a little rougher than my interpretation of 9+ (not a big deal)I have a few problems. Firstly, as you hold the camera and rotate it are you supposed to hear something loose inside? SOunds like the film pressure plate moves around. Hardly the "rock" like feel I was counting on! Also, it takes anywhere from 2 to 25 stabs at the release to turn on the viewfinder display with the main switch on (same if you use the vertical release or the exposure check). Under these circumstances(main switch on, no display in the finder)the camera will not function - ie. takin glonger than 16 seconds to set up a shot after metering means when I press the button on my remote release switch the shutter does not function, and i have to tap away to turn on the finder display then fire the shutter. The point of my post - I have to decide wether to send it back for replacement (and who knows what a used replacement body might look/function like), send it back and cough up another $1000 for a new one ( I WILL have an RTSIII!!) or have it repaired under warranty. Maybe someone out there has had similar expereinces and can give me some guidance. Thanks in advance.

pkipnis

Surprise, it's broken. Call the dealer your bought it from and find out what their policy is regarding repair or replacement. The camera should NEVER have ratteling sounds inside. The meter on switch should come on with only a few grams of pressure and stay on for 10 seconds or so before shutting off.

J

jgban

I agree, contact the dealer. However, don't be surprised if they instruct you to send it to Contax in NJ. I had a similar experience with a new RX, and the dealer would not take it. I talked to Contax, they explained to me this is indeed their policy and I sent them the camera and had it back in a week. Frustrating, yes, but you will end up with a functioning RTSIII. Just take it easy.

afranklin

Hi David,

> Besides it looking a little rougher than my > interpretation of 9+ (not a big deal)

To me that is a big deal. If someone advertises one thing, that's what you paid for.

> as you hold the camera and rotate it are you supposed to hear > something loose inside?

No. I'd send it back.

> it takes > anywhere from 2 to 25 stabs at the release to turn on the viewfinder > display with the main switch on

Don't even think about keeping it...SEND IT BACK. Write down the serial number, and if I were you, don't take this camera back, don't let them repair it. If they want to offer you another one that IS in the 9+ condition you expected, and that they have tested out and they can verify if completely operational with no problems...then fine...but seriously, don't let them simply fix this one and send it back to you.

> I have to decide wether to send it > back

Unquestionably.

> for replacement

ONLY if they guarantee the condition you paid for, and they guarantee they have tested it out thoroughly.

> have it repaired under warranty.

Absolutely not, it's not in the cosmetic condition it should be, so that negates this option in my book.

Get one from KEH. They seem to grade their things very accurately. The only you got seems like you got it from Adorama... I'd suggest you say who you got it from, as it would give people a data point of a seller that grades badly and doesn't check out their gear before selling it!

Good luck!

Austin

W

writing4me

Did you pay by credit card? If the store does get silly about taking the camera back and giving you your money back, call up your credit card company and explain the situation. The credit card company WILL get your money back and settle the problem IF the store becomes silly. I tend not to do business twice (nor get a replacement from) with a company that sells me something that defective. -Lynn L.

europanorama

Posted by david w kozy on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 12:50 am:

A lemon by no other name. Return it pronto! my dear friend: if you try to tell you that you know italian pls the right way: pronto is similar to hello when you you take a phone-call. return it " subito"! (immediately)-

colin

David, Other responses echo mine. However, do us all a favour and tell us the retailer you purchased this from. This way, we can all steer clear of them . Thanks
Colin

A

arthur

Hi David,

Send it back, sounds like they missed out the refurbishing bit = completely!! I bought an RTSIII last year with all the symptoms you describe plus a = dim viewfinder. It also completely froze on me a couple of times requiring = the film to be removed and re-loaded before functioning within a week of = getting it. I found it really frustrating, so I contacted the shop I got it = from and sent it back for a refund. It was a very early RTSIII (at low serial = number) and looked like it had seen many years of hard work! I then bought a = new one from a different shop, I was worried about spending all that exra money = but could not have been happier!! What a difference, bright viewfinder and = a real solid reliable feel, as you would expect, a truly fantastic = camera. I never regretted spending the extra (would have been around $1000 or = =A3650 more).=20

The problem with getting it repaired under warranty is that they will = try to keep their costs down, so rather than replace the swithches or anything = else requred they will try to just clean them. If it were to go for a proper kyocera refurbishment then that may be much better but I doubt that = would happen especially given that it was already advertised as such. If you = can stretch to a new one, however painful it may seem now, I think you will = be so glad once you have a new RTSIII in your hands... I was!!

Cheers,

Art

David wrote:

tbc

Hi David,

>"factory refurbished" RTSiii Firstly, as you hold the camera and rotate it are you supposed to hear something loose inside? SOunds like the film pressure plate moves around.

Take the back off and see if it still makes the noise. Not acceptable.

Also, it takes anywhere from 2 to 25 stabs at the release to turn on the viewfinder > display with the main switch on (same if you use the vertical release > or the exposure check). Again, something is really wrong. This doesn't even sound usable.

I have to decide whether to send it back for replacement, or have it repaired under warranty. This sounds like the best option. I bought a used 167MT in 1993, found out that the meter was not calibrated correctly. The dealer I bought it from stood behind the camera, sent it to Contax in NJ, who repaired it completely.

I hope that "factory refurbished" means the importer/Kyocera will stand behind it and repair or replace it. Best wishes on getting an operational RTS III.

jvirtue

My RTS 3 was returned to Kyocera UK for the same electronic reason. I noticed that I had to press the buttons more than once to get the thing to powerup. I was informed after a few weeks that the main circuit had gone. I could but a new ( not RTS 3 ) body for the cost of the repair.....it still sits there waiting for me to cough up the cash...Send it back, there is a MAJOR fault with your camera.

afranklin

> I hope that "factory refurbished" means the importer/Kyocera will > stand behind it and repair or replace it. Best wishes on getting an > operational RTS III.

Well, that is if it really is a FACTORY (as in Kyocera/Contax) refurbished unit...which I would doubt. Do you think Kyocera/Contax would refurbish a unit such that it had an internal rattle and had a fried main circuit board? I doubt it... That's just speculation, but something sounds fishy.

Austin

D

dja

>>Help! I have just received a used "factory refurbished" RTSiii from a well known US distributor. Besides it looking a little rougher than my interpretation of 9+ (not a big deal)I have a few problems. Firstly, as you hold the camera and rotate it are you supposed to hear something loose inside? SOunds like the film pressure plate moves around. Hardly the "rock" like feel I was counting on!<<

My RX has a small spool next to the pressure plate that has a little play up & down on its shaft. It makes a click if I shake the camera with no film loaded. It may be that "problem" on your RTS. That alone should not be a major issue.

Obviously, the other problems are unacceptable. As the others have said, that camera has to be returned for repair or replacement.

There are a great many Contax "refurbs" being advertised from many sources. Actual conditions of these cameras vary from Like New to heavily worn. Perhaps you'll receive a replacement in better condition if you insist.

Good Luck,
Dave

D

dfm

Thanks to everyone for the replies and suggestions. I am following up with the retailer today and promise to report back on how they handle the situation. I would like to give them a chance to make amends rather than name them specifically at this point - just seems the right thing to do.

clive_kenyon

Hi Folks,

Following on from one point of this thread; I was looking for a used RTSiii and came across a British dealer who had three available according to their web site. Two were described as being Ex. Demo (no visible signs of use/ no packing / manual included) and the other was midway in their scale (visible signs of use / fully working / no packing or manual). There was only £50 ($80) difference in the prices.

I ordered one of the ex - demo models and received a well used camera with no manual and a jammed lens. The lens had not been mentioned in the description. I sent it back and asked for the other ex - demo camera. This too had a free lens, but no manual and was in immaculate condition. The company refused my offer of the return of their Planar f1.7!

Just shows the latitude of descriptions.

Clive

D

dfm

An update on where this thread started...B&H agreed to accept return of my faulty RTS111 with no argument, though it took numerous attempts to contact them through their Customer service department (the 1-800 was constantly busy)So I have the total shipping expense of around $100 USD, plus the long distance cost, plus the tax bill (recoverable but more hassle)from Canada Customs, and no camera. Goes to show you there are no bargains in life - I thought I was getting a 9+ RTSIII for half what it would cost me used locally. Further to Clive's post - I dropped into a local Toronto store (Henrys) to check out an S2 posted on their used website. They rated it an 8+. It took very careful inspection to find any indications that the camera had ever been out of its box, whereas B&H rated the RTSiii as a 9+ when it had a very evident overall worn patina, numerous small dings and nicks and significant portions of the base plate with finish entirely rubbed off - not to mention the fact that it was broken both mechanically and electronically. Oh yeah, it was also missing the eyecup. I did though have a neat little sticker on it saying that it had been refurbished to factory standards. Net - I would never buy another camera at a distance without a detailed written description of condition from a credible representative of the retailer. Cheers.=20

loom

Dear Dave,

There are some guys in Taiwan experienced the same problem with their demo AXs from B&H. B&H's reply was that they recieved the cameras directly from Contax and they did not do any inspections, while some ugly ones pops out. In my experience B&H's customer service line is ALWAYS busy.

I bought 4 demo AX's from B&H, one for my brother and three for my other friends in Taiwan. 3 of them are fine, and one of them the mirror position wasn't right, and I had to send back to Kyocera, NJ. Something interesting is that the latter cameras I ordered, the smaller number of the serial numbers are. It seems that they sell the ones with newest serial numbers first.

Shu-Hsien

colin

Whilst we are on the topic of "buying unseen", though I have not had negative experiences from B&H, I have received nothing but superb, first class service and 'NY prices' from Camera World in Oregon,USA. They really are a pleasure to deal with. I have absolutely no connection with this company, but use both their website and instore facilities when in Portland. I can highly recommend them.
Colin

joanjordi

>The company refused my offer of the return of their Planar f1.7!

Clive, Don't throw this lens! It's a very nice lens, light and sharp. Very useful when carry the RTS3 by travel.