DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G vs Leica M lenses

Doug,

> Posted by Doug Glover (Douglas) on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 12:40 am: > > I would urge you all to read the above personal attack mounted by > Austin Franklin, veteran Contax basher.

Since I didn't "mount" a personal attack, I can only guess that you believe if you somehow say it enough, it will make it true...or people are so stupid that they'll simply forget reality, and believe what you say. Neither, here at least, is true.

I happen to love Contax cameras and Zeiss lenses. I have quite a few of them, and enjoy them all.

What you've been doing, is making things up that simply weren't said. That's typically called lying. What, exactly, are you claiming is "bashing"? If I don't love every aspect of something, and I express my dislike, is that bashing? Fact is, you're the one doing the bashing, and you're bashing Leicas, and now me for pointing out your comments were simply unsubstantiated.

> If you disagree with Austin, or express a contrary opinion, he resorts > to a convulsive display of hysteria.

A new word for simply reporting the facts...hysteria. If anyone is in convulsive hysterics, it's you...because I provided the facts, and the facts showed your claims were unsubstantiated. You've apparently got Fonzitis...and can't handle being wrong. I welcome contrary opinion, but opinion is not fact, and you seem to have a hard time distinguishing fact from opinion, much less recognizing fact.

> Austin..nobody really wants to > waste their time reading your absurd piffle about Leica cameras...

I'm not the one who brought up Leicas...I simply provided the facts that YOU wish didn't exist, but they do, and the facts show your comments to be unsubstantiated. That's not a matter of opinion, simply a matter of fact.

> and > other subjects on which you are regretably uninformed.

If you can point out where I'm wrong about something, then please do it by providing facts, not just blathering vapid nonsense. I sounds to me more like you WANT me to be wrong, but you really can't find anything I'm wrong about (unless you want to argue with PhotoDo's testing)...so you express your frustration by being demeaning.

The regret is that everyone on the list is being dragged into the game you are playing (starting out with Leica bashing, and now Austin bashing), and that I've given you any credence by responding to your blathering.

If you have nothing further intelligently or technically (which I don't believe you ever did add anything technical in the first place, you referenced photodo, and I pulled the facts from there...you obviously didn't take a look before providing the reference and got beaten with your own stick) to add to the discussion, then please spare the list your personal vendetta and stop. I certainly have better things to do than defend my self from attacks by you.

Ausin

Hello,

I would like to say this as a gentle reminder, that this is a Contax G3 wish list. If any of you have something to say about what you would like to see in the next (if ever there will be one) Contax G3, just list them down and we can (or should) discuss about it in an amicable manner.

P.S. After reading about Lytton's comments on the usefulness of a manual focus functionality, I take back my earlier comments about dropping this capability. But on the other hand, I would still like to see focus lock, and an improvised manual focusing method instead of a focusing wheel on the front of the camera body.

It's not a focus lock, (which, indeed, would be nice) but it's the next best thing; If you press the auxillary focus button with your thumb (located in the switch for SAF, CAF, and MF) and hold it you can maintain focus and use the shutter release button to fire off you're shot. As far as my wish list is concerned, I would most like to see a slightly larger viewfinder that could also handle a slightly longer or wider lens such as the 21mm w/o additional finder or perhaps a 135mm for more telephoto. A wireless remote like the one Canon produced for the Elan series would be a small but significant addition as well. Maybe they can up the ante on the flash sync from 1/200th sec. to 1/250th sec. as well. Lastly, I would like slightly quieter operation through an insulated back or through the employment of an ultrasonic motor. On the whole I am extremely happy with my G2 and could not imagine a better camera. Any improvement would bring it that much closer to perfection. If they could do it, a G3 would rock the photographic world, again. Cheers and happy shootin'

Amazing, Douglas. Really.

Do us all the favour and go back to the top of this thread. Then, re-read the posts. It's been you who has brought bile and venom to what had been a civilized discussion amongst reasonable people. As i asked/challenged earlier (without response), if you can demonstrate in any of Austin's posts those things you claim, then we can all join in with the chasing of him with torches.... But, without any such justification, it seems obvious that it is YOU who has got the problem. No, no- that's "prob-LEMS. PLURAL. Please troll elsewhere. Put up or shut up.

Paul, There is a Snappy Snaps in Bishopsgate EC2 where the manageress really knows her business. She processes XP2 very nicely and colour corrects the printer so you do not get mauve or green tinted prints. Make sure the front person knows it is C41 B&W and that you are looking for the manageress to oversee it. She will only do 35mm and not 220/120. However, you have to accept it is a high street commercial and not pro operation. If I want a pro job, I use; The Vault, 1 Dorset Place, Brighton tel: 01273 670667. I live within 15 miles of there, when I am in UK but I would think they would do mail order. I have no connection with either of these operations. Wilson

Gentlemen,

I wholeheartedly agree with Derek. Any interested parties can look at the beginnings of this 'spat' and see that Austin in no way made personal slurs, but rather made a simple comparison, and in fact mentioned a number of times that he owns both systems and enjoys using both systems. Read the messages in this thread and any reasonable person can see that ONE of the involved parties (not Austin) did nothing but hurl insults. The moderator should intervene in this idiocy; Douglas, there is no need to flame or abuse anyone for the kind of statements that Austin made. I don't know either of you, but at the very least Austin did attempt to be civil - the proof is in the posts, boys, for all to see. Go back and read the postings, they haven't disappeared.

I do think the moderator of this forum had better intervene. In the interim, as Paul has done, I too am turning off receipt of postings from this forum. My inbox is too full of junk.

The bottom line is that the best camera is the one that gives you your desired results, and everyone desires something different.

I think I'll go buy a Lomo.

:)

Mark Edwards

"...Where is the moderator? Can't anything be done about this?..."

And here we are...

You are so fast in postings over night (German time), that we will have soon to leave our jobs only to read all postings
happy.gif

But back to the facts:

1. We do not want to see any insultings in our forums. Everybody has to accept the netiquette. This counts also for Doug Glover.

2. We do have nothing against slightly "heated debates" as long as they are in lines with the netiquette.

3. Please stick to the topics. It just makes everything harder to read and follow for others. We have moved the G vs. M postings in this new thread and you can continue here, as long as you respect the terms of use.

Thanks for your help to make this a great community, both by your postings and by cooling others down once it is needed.

P.S.: We deleted some postings which have been against the netiquette

"We get so many mails, that it gets a pain in the neck. "

Peter et alii,

if there is a thread or subtopic, you are not interested in, you can turn off the e-mail notification for this little subtopic only. And you get still e-mails from all other topics. Check for this in your profile the topic list. Click on one and you get one level deeper. Continue like this til you find the topic you are not interested in and turn off there the e-mail notification. Save the settings in your profile and you are done.

Back